My new spare key will not code and locksmiths black box will not code either

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warp2diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locksmith told me that when he put in the second key, he did not get the theft light to come on. Then he tried his black box and the new key chip is OK but it will not code. What is wrong with my '06 Liberty CRD? Is the anti theft stuff in the Body Control Module?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The locksmith told me that when he put in the second key, he did not get the theft light to come on. Then he tried his black box and the new key chip is OK but it will not code. What is wrong with my '06 Liberty CRD? Is the anti theft stuff in the Body Control Module?

Nothing wrong with your 2006 Liberty CRD...finger trouble from your Locksmith.

There are posts around on how to code a new chipped key yourself provided you have one good coded key in your possession...if you cannot find the method yourself you will have to go to your local friendly knowledgable Dealer.

The chipped key recognition is in the SKIM or SKREEM module behind the steering column...with a wire loop going around the key entrance to the ignition. This cannot be re-programmed...only a Dealer can program a new, virgin, blank SKIM Module.

The fact that your original key works means that nothing is wrong with the SKIS system.

If this process was made too easy to do then every car thief would be running around with a bunch of spare keys! :Insane:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are posts around on how to code a new chipped key yourself provided you have one good coded key in your possession...

For DIY programming, you need to have, and use, 2 pre-programmed keys to be able to program a third one. With having only one key, it's a dealer thing.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
For DIY programming, you need to have, and use, 2 pre-programmed keys to be able to program a third one. With having only one key, it's a dealer thing.

^^^this. That is what it says in my manual.

The reason for this is so someone like a car valet that has your key cannot program another key with the one he has.....he needs 2 working transponder keys to program a 3rd one. And this is the reason only the owner who has just bought the vehicle and has 2 working keys can program a third key without going to the dealer. That's what I did when the dealer gave me the 2 transponder keys with the jeep.

If I was buying any vehicle today and they didn't have 2 working transponder keys I would find out from the dealer how much and take it off the price of the vehicle.

You wouldn't even want to know how much the audi dealer wanted for a key to a friends car. It ain't like the old days when you could get any hardware store to cut a key to anything for 99 cents.

You can thank the car thieves for all of this crap.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.