My new not new to me 2006 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iskwezm65

Reaction score
This is our returned to us 2006 Liberty. My wife bought it new(before we were married) and 4 years ago gave to her 16 year old daughter when she bought her 2017 Challenger SRT. The daughter drove it for a while and didnt maintain it, so during summer without water, the head gaskets let go. Her know nothing dad got involved and took it to a crook friend . He misdiagnosed and charged for head gaskets, then said it needs the engine replaced for more money( I still butted out). Since then, the gauge cluster has been like a christmas tree.The odometer shows 171K, trans has 20K and engine has maybe 80K miles. Well she got a new Civic, so I said I would buy it back for $1000( the same another mechanic friend of the dads offered) figuring i could fix it and keep to tow behind our Class A or flip it to make a little money. I spent the past 2 days claying and buffing the paint and cleaning the interior. Took it this morning for a RH catalytic converter (PO 0430). Come to find out, the 1 cat is is $800 bucks (CA emissions)!!!. So it also has code U1411, needs 2 front tires and rear shocks. I have 6 other cars so I dont need the car, but its pretty clean and nice commuter. Trying to decide if i want to repair or junk it.
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
KJs are always , well almost always worth repairing
Looks good to look at except how sagged out the suspension is
Plus the other things you have found so far

iskwezm65

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum
KJs are always , well almost always worth repairing
Looks good to look at except how sagged out the suspension is
Plus the other things you have found so far
Thanks, its never towed or carried any weight, so im sure its just time on the springs. Before I found out how rediculous the cat is, i was thinking of new wheels, shocks and an exhaust. But there are NO cheap options. Magnaflow has a cat/Y pipe for $2600.:confused:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, its never towed or carried any weight, so im sure its just time on the springs. Before I found out how rediculous the cat is, i was thinking of new wheels, shocks and an exhaust. But there are NO cheap options. Magnaflow has a cat/Y pipe for $2600.:confused:
KJ springs and shocks were good for about 60-65,000 miles then they are toast.
I've removed springs from 75,000 mile KJ that were over 1.5 inches sagged down
One customer wanted to know why his Mothers KJ was making such strange noises on every bump
78,000 miles all driven by her , 3 shocks were blown, front springs were stacked and 1.75 inches below new stock height,
Front springs are only rated at 310 lb, should of been 345-350 to hold up

iskwezm65

Reaction score
KJ springs and shocks were good for about 60-65,000 miles then they are toast.
I've removed springs from 75,000 mile KJ that were over 1.5 inches sagged down
One customer wanted to know why his Mothers KJ was making such strange noises on every bump
78,000 miles all driven by her , 3 shocks were blown, front springs were stacked and 1.75 inches below new stock height,
Front springs are only rated at 310 lb, should of been 345-350 to hold up
Now that you mention it, it does clunk in the rear over bumps. I was figuring some bushings or something. Still tossing the coin to see what to do with it. These models are selling here for $3-4K. Some dealers are asking $5-7K.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, with 6 other vehicles it is a tough choice, one that you have to make. If you like the Jeep, then try to keep it.
It really overall looks very clean. If you took your time, eventually you would have a very nice KJ.
I'd like to see you have it in good mechanical shape again, & be able use it & even tow behind the RV. :)

iskwezm65

Reaction score
What is everybody using for windows regulators. I replaced at least 3 myself, not including the countless times the dealer replaced them before. Put the LR window down last night and snap. I know it was replaced recently too. Are there any better brands out there?

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most salvage yards won't sell used cats... but you might look for a wrecked lower mileage jeep cheap that you could liberate a cat from it (Youtube Market place or Craigs-list)... I don't know the "RULES" about individuals selling cats in CA... This might get your problem with cats resolved... The window regulators you can get cheap at a "pull-a-part" salvage yard...
I rebuilt a 2006 Liberty that had a tunnel fire and almost all of the parts came from a PAP yard...
Dave

iskwezm65

Reaction score
Most salvage yards won't sell used cats... but you might look for a wrecked lower mileage jeep cheap that you could liberate a cat from it (Youtube Market place or Craigs-list)... I don't know the "RULES" about individuals selling cats in CA... This might get your problem with cats resolved... The window regulators you can get cheap at a "pull-a-part" salvage yard...
I rebuilt a 2006 Liberty that had a tunnel fire and almost all of the parts came from a PAP yard...
Dave
I did find a complete Liberty a few miles from here that is being parted out. I going to see if i can buy the cats, but ill probably have to pull them myself.

daves06lrenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that solves your Governmental problems... I'm 71 years old and found that I had/have ADD at 40... I always have had to "think" outside of the "box" ... and I have come up with some strange or helpful answers that others couldn't "see"... Take along a battery powered saws-all and cut before the connections going to the cats... That way you will have room to properly remove nuts/bolts when it's out... DO NOT mention anything about reusing the cats to either the seller or the required CA government inspectors... What they don't know won't hurt them...:eek:
Dave

iskwezm65

Reaction score
I hope that solves your Governmental problems... I'm 71 years old and found that I had/have ADD at 40... I always have had to "think" outside of the "box" ... and I have come up with some strange or helpful answers that others couldn't "see"... Take along a battery powered saws-all and cut before the connections going to the cats... That way you will have room to properly remove nuts/bolts when it's out... DO NOT mention anything about reusing the cats to either the seller or the required CA government inspectors... What they don't know won't hurt them...:eek:
Dave
I really dont see why a 47 state y pipe with cats is $275, but for 50 state, its $1900-2600. And aftermarket it $900 for a weld in. Not that i can even get a 47 state cat, but would emissions be any different? I was a master tech and did smog, but that was before OBDII.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheaper cats do not flow as well as MOPAR Cats do
as far as they go for Cali and other states its just the law that comes into affect your buying one or the other

Latest posts

Members online