Ongoing Window Regulator Issue....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted this on a couple of other forums... for those that haven't seen it, here you go:

Has anybody that had their window regulator fixed with the new style regulator which includes new glass have it break again?? The newer style regulator and glass were supposed to be a fix for this ongoing issue.

I had the left rear regulator and glass replaced less than a year ago... 7-28-09 to be exact. The window decides this evening to break again. It doesn't look like the new fix is holding up. I did the zip tie temp fix to hold the window up until I get it fixed again for the "4th" f'ing time.

If anyone has replaced their left rear window regulator with the newer fix, could you please check your dealer work order and let me know if the new fix included the following part numbers:

- 68059647-AA Regulator (23039005)
- 68058661-AA Label NON (18079005)
- 68059653-AA Glass REA (23064308)

This is getting to be pure BS, especially after just having the POS plastic bushing break that holds the 4wd shifter cable to the xfer case on my JK (while on the trail leaving me stuck in 4wd low).

I haven't purchased an American made vehicle other than a TJ, KJ and a JK since '92 so I can't compare the Jeeps to any recent American models I've owned. All I know is that I'm getting pretty tired of the build quality on Jeeps.......

Update:

I called the dealership first thing this morning and found the answer to my own question.

YES, the new regulator that requires new glass is also breaking!! Chrysler HAS NOT fixed this ongoing issue!! Total bull crap!! While my dealer has and is giving me a courtesy warranty, it still costs me $100.00 each time it breaks... unacceptable.

Jeep may well be the best 4x4 on the market for it's "straight off the showroom floor" capabilities, but it's build quality is seriously lacking. The KJ and JK are the last two Chrysler products I'll ever own.....

Broken window regulator history on my 2006 KJ:

- left front... 0
- right front... 1
- left rear... 4
- right rear... 1

Only two were replaced under warranty, the other four broke after the warranty expired.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone on here keeps posting, why bother replacing a broken part with one that will break again. Get the repair kit from Steiger and be done with it. Those that have reviewed it have had them in for years and no problems anymore.

$89.95 per door as they break, and your fixed for the life of the vehicle. If your already spending $100 to have the dealer do it why not spend that and do it yourself and BE DONE WITH IT.

FYI.. If you think this is a reason to never buy Chrysler again then don't buy Chevy or Ford either. They had a massive problem with the window regulator on many of their products too. Just read about some of them a week ago on another auto repair forum. The problem is all the manufacturers are going cheap with plastic parts. There is aftermarket replacements that are metal for most of those failed models as well.

Last edited:

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI.. If you think this is a reason to never buy Chrysler again then don't buy Chevy or Ford either. They had a massive problem with the window regulator on many of their products too. Just read about some of them a week ago on another auto repair forum. The problem is all the manufacturers are going cheap with plastic parts. There is aftermarket replacements that are metal for most of those failed models as well.
My cousin's 2009 Expedition just had the window drop (a fairly common problem with those). My 2002 Jetta had a window regulator go out (common problem with MKIV VW's). Every manufacturer has their reoccuring problems. Nobody is exempt from this. Just look at Toyota, thought to be the gods of quality, now trying to run adds to save their rep. Toyota and Honda have now dropped below Ford on the quality index.

Fix it and go on. Just be glad it is a window problem and nothing more serious like a stuck accelerator or dying engine.

I've owned a few cars in my time and I've detailed and worked on a lot of other's. Jeep's build quality is pretty good in my option. It isn't the best, but it isn't nowhere near the worst either.

BTW, do it yourself and save $40.

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I found out about the aftermarket fix last night.

I called Chrysler Customer Care a little while ago. They are calling the dealer to tell them not to charge me for the new repair. They also gave me an address to put in for reimbursement for money I have already paid out on the three previous repairs.

You may be right about Chev and Ford, but I was never fond of them either.... when I need another SUV for my wife, I'll be looking at foreign made vehicles. I've always had better luck with them than American made. When my JK wears out, that will be the end of my 4x4 days as I'll be getting up there in age and won't be able to participate in this hobby anymore......

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah... I found out about the aftermarket fix last night.

I called Chrysler Customer Care a little while ago. They are calling the dealer to tell them not to charge me for the new repair. They also gave me an address to put in for reimbursement for money I have already paid out on the three previous repairs.

You may be right about Chev and Ford, but I was never fond of them either.... when I need another SUV for my wife, I'll be looking at foreign made vehicles. I've always had better luck with them than American made. When my JK wears out, that will be the end of my 4x4 days as I'll be getting up there in age and won't be able to participate in this hobby anymore......

If you get a reimbursement out of them buy some aftermarket kits from Steiger so your ready when they break again, cause they will i bet... LOL

DJSKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What or who is Steiger? My driver side rear just went. Tape and cardboard will not not hold it up long, but maybe longer than OEM would.

DJ

subflea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What or who is Steiger? My driver side rear just went. Tape and cardboard will not not hold it up long, but maybe longer than OEM would.

DJ

Steiger Performance is a company that makes an aftermarket kit that provides a permanent solution to fix the faulty window regulators. From everything I have read, they work and the price is much cheaper than having the dealership repair it with parts that will just fail again.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep and the reviews here and on other Jeep forums have mentioned how easy the job was overall, they have very good instructions with pictures on how to install the kit.

Most have found they were able to do the repair in an hour or less.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of window regulator problem. for your cousin tell him to visit the Ford Expedition repair they could help him out there. you also can try to look on this one. they have some jetta repair

Yeah, there are plenty of other vehicles that have regulator issues, did a 00 A4, probably similar to the Jetta design, about $300 for the regulator..
Jeep now does have just the clip, and is only about $21 from the dealership, just did the fix on my sisters 02 KJ, just pull the regulator/motor and slide the old clip off, and slide the new one in, and your done!
I am happy with my Jeep, just having little window issues, instead of driving a tough yota, and having the frame cracking or prematurely rusting lol3.gif

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of window regulator problem. for your cousin tell him to visit the Ford Expedition repair they could help him out there. you also can try to look on this one. they have some jetta repair
Everyone is using plastic crap for window regulators.lol

I would tell him except that he got rid of it the same day he went to have it fixed. Decided to trade it in on a newer Toyota Tundra on the lot. As for the Jetta, I did the repair myself. Besides, I traded it in quite a while back to get the KJ.

Fifty4F100

Reaction score
I had a power window problem on a 1998 Sebring Convertible. When I called a Chrysler dealership about that, he couldn't believe I was having that problem. When I refused to buy his expensive part, I found a cheap plastic insert that had a cable captured in it that had cracked. A small screw and I was back in business. I did the other side at the same time while I was well versed in how the panel came off. I can't believe it would cost that much more to make a substantial metal part for these systems!

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And who might that company be?

Funny, I haven't been on for a few weeks, and this is one of the first posts I see after I had a regulator break on me as I just began a six hour drive on interstate. This is why I always carry Gorilla Tape in my Jeep. Holds up the window perfectly-- better than the Chrysler window regulator! lol

jp22l

Reaction score
I did the steiger regulator on my Jeep about 3 months ago, it took me about 1.5 hrs. It seems to be working good now, I am concerned the other side will be going out soon though, if I get some extra cash, I maay just go ahead and replace it rather than having it fall down in a snowstorm in december. But I would definitely go with steiger over some cheap plastic piece that will break again at some point.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And who might that company be?

Funny, I haven't been on for a few weeks, and this is one of the first posts I see after I had a regulator break on me as I just began a six hour drive on interstate. This is why I always carry Gorilla Tape in my Jeep. Holds up the window perfectly-- better than the Chrysler window regulator! lol

You Ask, You get it..

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp13001.html

The only problem was the screw beind the door latch on the door panel. I could never get it back started. GRRR. But yes you can do it maybe not 1.5 hours but definately 2.5.. Very do-able.

rcreechssr

Reaction score
I agree 100%

Like everyone on here keeps posting, why bother replacing a broken part with one that will break again. Get the repair kit from Steiger and be done with it. Those that have reviewed it have had them in for years and no problems anymore.

$89.95 per door as they break, and your fixed for the life of the vehicle. If your already spending $100 to have the dealer do it why not spend that and do it yourself and BE DONE WITH IT.

Agreed, 100%. Just replaced mine this morning, instructions were flawless. Took about 2 hours taking my time.:happy107: Better than $385 at the dealer.