My looking for wheels thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking for wheels. I would like to find a set of stock wheels from something else as opposed to buying aftermarket. Can anyone help me clarify if there are any vehicles, jeeps or other wise, that had stock 16" 5 x 4.5 wheels with a lower backspacing than our wheels? Thanks in advance

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Im looking for wheels. I would like to find a set of stock wheels from something else as opposed to buying aftermarket. Can anyone help me clarify if there are any vehicles, jeeps or other wise, that had stock 16" 5 x 4.5 wheels with a lower backspacing than our wheels? Thanks in advance

Lower backspacing ?
Do you mean like 4 inches instead of 5?
Are you lifted? If not have to stick at stock
If lifted then yes can go to 4 with a 7 inch wheel, but many if any stock type that will work. Even the OEM 15 inch most are closer to ours as far as backspacing goes
Of course they won't fit over the front on the KJ anyways

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower backspacing ?
Do you mean like 4 inches instead of 5?
Are you lifted? If not have to stick at stock
If lifted then yes can go to 4 with a 7 inch wheel, but many if any stock type that will work. Even the OEM 15 inch most are closer to ours as far as backspacing goes
Of course they won't fit over the front on the KJ anyways

The wheels will be for a lifted KJ. Not lifted yet but Im planning ahead.

Are there any OEM 16" jeep wheels with a 4" backspace?

I think the cheapest choice for me if I cant find something used will be the pro comp steel 16" x 8" which has 4.25" of backspace.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The wheels will be for a lifted KJ. Not lifted yet but Im planning ahead.

Are there any OEM 16" jeep wheels with a 4" backspace?

I think the cheapest choice for me if I cant find something used will be the pro comp steel 16" x 8" which has 4.25" of backspace.

No on the OEM 4 inch backspaced
Stick with 7 inches wide, no need for 8 inch wide 4 inches of backspacing
unless you are going to run 265-70-16s no need for an 8 inch wide wheel unless you are just doing it to impress a woman with size

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'm thinking about an 8" wide wheel is because I'm having a hard time finding a 16"x7" wheel. The 16x8 is a lot easier to find.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of 7 inch wide and 4 inches of back spacing out there, just punched those into both Jegs and Summit Racing, both have them
with 8 inch wide and 4.25 backspacing wheel/ tires will be out past the flare, will have to run extra bumpstops in the rear and depending on state laws could be illegal

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada which is what's making it more difficult to source wheels. I'm also not a fan of the newer styles of wheels I prefer something simple and plain.

The wheel sticking past the fender a little bit doesn't concern me too much up here. Some guys have 4" of tire past their fenders so I wouldn't be a target.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in Canada which is what's making it more difficult to source wheels. I'm also not a fan of the newer styles of wheels I prefer something simple and plain.

The wheel sticking past the fender a little bit doesn't concern me too much up here. Some guys have 4" of tire past their fenders so I wouldn't be a target.

BUT on a KJ you will also have more issues with rubbing when sticking out past the flare, another reason 7 inch wide with 4 backspacing works well

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks Tom I will keep searching for a 16x7. I checked out the American sites and you're right there are alot. But then go on the Canadian sites and all I can find is 16x8. It's the weirdest thing, I may have to order from the states.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK thanks Tom I will keep searching for a 16x7. I checked out the American sites and you're right there are alot. But then go on the Canadian sites and all I can find is 16x8. It's the weirdest thing, I may have to order from the states.

We'll get someone to get them and then throw them over the border to ya!

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tell me what tires you want, i live close enough i can roll them over the border:gr_grin:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the moabs on lifted kj's. The width and BS is perfect. Here's mine on 245/75 with about 4.25" lift. Had them pc'd Teflon.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They work OK with my 245's although optimal would be 7" wide rims, they haven't caused me any problems.

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find 16" ZJ grand choerkee wheels. they have - ET values so they will give better stance. i painted them black and used with winter tires.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find 16" ZJ grand choerkee wheels. they have - ET values so they will give better stance. i painted them black and used with winter tires.

I just looked at wheels for a 96 ZJ and they said they have a different bolt pattern. is it a specific year?