My KJ stumbles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qraa

Reaction score
Hi Guys, this is my first post, even thought I've been checking this forum for a few months now and I think it's great, lots of good tips and a lot of help.

About a month ago I bought a 03 KJ with about 62.000 miles on it, I think I got a good deal for her, besides I love her since the first time I saw her.

After I bought her I took her for a short trip, about 3 hours on highway, when I arrived to town, I had to stop for lights, traffics, etc, I noticed before coming to a full stop it stumbled, like when releasing a gear, but a really strong stumble. This kept happening until I turned it off and let it cool down.

Now I’m worried because I’ve been searching in the forum for some posts that says something similar, but I haven’t found anything.

Is this something common in Liberties? What do you think it is?

Thanks guys, anything would be appreciated.

qraa

libertyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will mine seems to do the same thing, I also have a 03 with 117,000kms on it, I also find when I go from park to rev and rev to drive it bucks forward or reverse, engine rpms seem normal, so ya anyone have some input on this?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ontario thing?

The transmission bucking is normal, Chrysler transmissions take a long time to shift into gear, and the bucking is the result of hitting the gas too hard. Inclines can also make the transmission buck forward or reverse.

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get that sometimes when shifting from REV to Drive and hitting the gas quickly after shifting to drive. I've gotten used to it, and hope its nothing serious.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The buzzing sound when shifting into drive,reverse,or from D to R(or R to D) is the shift solinoids energizing and that's most of the pause or stumble sometimes felt,since it is a electronically control ******.For some reason DC trannies are like that.

qraa

Reaction score
Well I didn't get an answer to my post, I guess because it is not a common thing. I'll go to the dealer and ask around

Thanks anyways

qraa

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about checking up on different terms than Stumble. Maybe you need to run some SeaFoam through the intake/vac tube/gas tank. What about your fluids? What was the maintenance to it in the past? 62,000 should have a trans flush, diff change, all oil cleaned up.

Give more info on the current status of your vehicles "upkeep". Unless you said you bought it with 2 mile on it from the dealer, your going to need to ensure all of these maintenance things have been done to the Jeep.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I didn't get an answer to my post, I guess because it is not a common thing. I'll go to the dealer and ask around

Thanks anyways

qraa

check your battery, how old is it?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check your battery, how old is it?

Huh?

Anyways, I agree with MoladoGuy, a fluid change would be a good idea. Most people do not get those things done. Sounds to me like it's shifting hard in the upshift back to first. If you can, watch your tach as you come to a stop(of course, watch in front of you too ;) )...you can generally see that upshift on the tach as a slight raise rpm's. If its doing that at the moment you feel that shudder, or stumble as you called it, that's probably what it is. Good chance that new fluid might make that go away. Mine has done it a couple times, but I've noticed it's when the ****** is cold, like when I'm just moving it to a different spot to park or something, it'll occasionally do that. I don't think it's a problem, but if yours is doing it all the time, that shouldn't do that.

Mine's going down for a change when I hit 50k...just for preventative maintenance. I had my diffs and transfer case done a while ago.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would agree with everything if it is gear stumble and not power stumble for sure, people dont always factor power in, if its gearing then yes, nothing to do with battery

Can you elaborate on how it could be the battery then...causing a stumble when coming to a stop?

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on how it could be the battery then...causing a stumble when coming to a stop?

if it is idle and sitting you could stumble on power, but like i said if it is gear/engine stumble then no, it has nothing to do with it.

have you ever had a weak battery in a vehicle? if you get enough draw to start the vehicle, but your alt isnt charging your batt while running, then when you slow/idle you could lose power, or get close and stumble - not having a full charge or fully operational alt. usually if your batt is that bad you wont be able to start, and if you alt is bad your tach will usually jump/spike while driving, which this poster did not mention, but sometimes people dont look into ALL of the possible issues. i threw it out as something to look at, not to say it was the issue. it shouldnt happen to just be a battery, usually your alt, but sometimes a battery is on the way out and shows signs, and after a away works perfect.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem on a 1999 Taurus once. Injector cleaner fixed it up just fine. Cost me $6. Try that first, if it doesn't work then go to Autozone and have them check your battery.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I'm with Phil on this one. Can you be a bit more descriptive on how exactly it's stumbling? What are the RPM's reading while it's doing its stumble? The more info you give us, the more we can help :)

At 62K, I would assume that the previous owner didn't do any of the maint. on it, and just drove it (I always assume this with used vehicles).

Take a look at your ****** fluid and see what color it's in, make sure the level is good, and the fluid isn't burnt (it'll be dark in color, and smell burnt).

There are a million possibilities that could cause a stumble....anything from a sensor on it's way out, to bad gas (water), to a clogged injector...etc etc etc.

I'm assuming the check engine light has remained off?

edit: WOOPS! Shoulda looked at the date on the orig. post. I'm assuming (I assume a lot....LOL) that you got the problem fixed?

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is stumbling/trembling/tremoring/shaking/etc.. when I am at full stop at light and let the brake go tiny bit. What it does is, it feels like it is going back and forth, like it cannot move, as if it will stall.. I cannot move the jeep VERY SLOWLY by letting my foot off the brake, I have to STOP fully or let it go.
Oh, it doesn't do it as bad when it's in 4FULL TIME

Donnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is stumbling/trembling/tremoring/shaking/etc.. when I am at full stop at light and let the brake go tiny bit. What it does is, it feels like it is going back and forth, like it cannot move, as if it will stall.. I cannot move the jeep VERY SLOWLY by letting my foot off the brake, I have to STOP fully or let it go.
Oh, it doesn't do it as bad when it's in 4FULL TIME

That's how brakes are on any car man, and it sounds like you have a good pair of them lol. It does shake and make noise if you take your foot off a little bit, because, well, you're braking but just a little bit of off and on pressure.

qraa

Reaction score
Hi Tim, thanks for your reply, well actually you are not late, I haven't fixed the problem yet. I took it to the dealer though, this is what they did "Check codes and monitor sensors and check all adaptative fuel cells and reset all adaptive memory and perform trans quick learn" but no, it didn't work, by the way that has been the worst customer service I have ever received :mad: .

So I'm going to another dealer this week, I'll talk to them (if I can) and I'll try to get the ****** fluid checked, actually changed, same with the injectors plus whatever they recommend. Sounds expensive 8-[

I'll let you know later

Members online

No members online now.