My KJ MyGig RER Multimedia System Install Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So how did you get the 2-DIN head unit to fit in the 1.5 DIN slot? Besides fabricating the new bezel did you have to do any modifications to the dash hardware that holds it in?

Behind the Bezel, there is actually a 2-Din space for the radio. For the standard radio, which is 1.5 DIN they put a .5 DIN metal bracket within that 2-Din space. That bracket basically occupies the extra space and just puts pressure on the top side of the radio, to hold the 1.5-DIN radio secure. You just need to unscrew 2 screws and remove that .5-DIN bracket, and then you have a perfect 2-DIN space that will hold a 2-Din radio. That's the only real Mod you need behind the bezel, which takes about 1 minute to remove the bracket.

Building the custom bezel is what takes the longest. Here's some pics of my Bezel Modification that I took while I was doing it.

Step1: Cut out the interior braces
You must be registered for see images

Step 2: Epoxy the interior braces into the new locations.
You must be registered for see images

I think I have more pics that I took at each phase of performing the Bezel Mod. If you need more, I can try to find them.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Nice job Rednroll!

I like what you did.
Looks like a Factory installation.
Good work!

I have a question for you Rednroll, considering that you are into the vehicle entertainment system equipment and all!
I was watching that cheese ass show "Pimp my Ride" and they installed a vehicle Personal Computer System called something like "Auto Comp"?
In a young mans brand spanking new Toyota Scion xb that they gave him, and, which they totally Chinked out!
What can you tell me about this vehicle mounted computer system?
Can you upgrade them?
Are they worth while?
Is it more of a gadget for bragging rights?
Can you run a PC based GPS system with them?
Or would it be better to have a Lab top computer with an external GPS antenna and go that route so that you can use the touch pad mouse control or a wired/wireless mouse?
You see, I don't know if you could connect a mouse to one of those vehicle based PC systems! (Then again, I don't know why you wouldnt be able too in the first place!)
If you know of another similar or better vehicle based/mounted PC system, can you suggest one?

Cheers
Ry'

Rednroll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I ran across a website awhile back when I was trying to figure out how to customize my bezel. There are a few websites that are dedicated to "Car PC" installations and there was a couple guys that put them into a Liberty. I wasn't really interested in the Car PC stuff....I was reading to see how they customized their bezels.

Here's one site:
http://www.alabamarailfan.com/carpc.php

The site www.mp3car.com is a forum quite like this one, which is dedicated to people who have done the PC installations.....and here's a thread to another Libby install.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/56347-04-jeep-liberty-mac-mini-install.html

I would go to the MP3car.com website and ask around there for more specifics. From what I read, they're basically a custom built PC and it does everything a PC can do....mouse, play multiple media types, GPS, surf the net...etc.

I build my own PCs and the installs that I read, all basically outline which computer parts to buy as if you where building your own PC...motherboard, CPU, Ram..etc. The challenge for putting a computer in a vehicle are size restrictions, and getting proper airflow, so the PC doesn't over heat.

They basically do anything you can do on a computer.

Probably a good start of info is on the MP3car.com "car computing 101" section linked below.
http://www.mp3car.com/index.php/Getting-Started/Car-Computing-101.html

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Actually, I ran across a website awhile back when I was trying to figure out how to customize my bezel. There are a few websites that are dedicated to "Car PC" installations and there was a couple guys that put them into a Liberty. I wasn't really interested in the Car PC stuff....I was reading to see how they customized their bezels.

Here's one site:
http://www.alabamarailfan.com/carpc.php

And the site www.mp3car.com is a forum quite like this one, which is dedicated to people who have done the PC installations.....and here's a thread to another Libby install.
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/56347-04-jeep-liberty-mac-mini-install.html

I would go to the MP3car.com website and ask around there for more specifics. From what I read, they're basically a custom built PC and it does everything a PC can do....mouse, play multiple media types, GPS, surf the net...etc.

I build my own PCs and the installs that I read, all basically outline which computer parts to buy as if you where building your own PC...motherboard, CPU, Ram..etc. The challenge for putting a computer in a vehicle are size restrictions, and getting proper airflow, so the PC doesn't over heat.

They basically do anything you can do on a computer.

Thank you for the information and the links Rednroll!
I'll check them out.

On a side note, back in 1999 when I was in Holland, The Netherlands, A couple of guys in the Dutch Mini Club were stuffing their PC's into their Mini's and listening to MP3's!
Now it's main stream!

Once again, thanks for the links, it will save some time huting that topic down.

Cheers
Ry'