My Jeep is Broke Could use help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed out my spark plugs to Bosch Platinum 4. and changed my oil.

It ran fine for about 2 weeks then one night it started smoking and smelled like something was burning. I couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from and the temperature showed normal. I let it rest for 2 days then drove it for 13 miles. It didn't smoke but that smell came back.

All fluid levels seem to be normal, It doesn't appear to be leaking anything.

I was wondering if I should have upgraded my gas with my spark plugs (which I haven't), or if I might have knocked some dirt or debris into the cylinder when I changed out the plugs.

open to all and any suggestions.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I have never heard anything to suggest you need to switch you gas type just because of new plugs. I am very interested to find out what your problem may be. Especially because I am just about to do the very same maintenance on my 05 Renegade today! I was pretty confident until I read your post. Now I am a little cautious!

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Luke

P.S. what kind of oil? Spill any? Plugs gapped correctly?

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just changed my plugs and oil/filter about 3 weeks ago. I don't think changing the gas is necessary. Where did it smoke from? If it came from under the hood you could check over everything as you were working in there and might have knocked something loose and it hit a valve cover or you spilled oil refilling it and it got on the motor/manifold and it is burning off. (most likely spilled oil)

That is the only thing I can think of from your description.

Dave

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue Smoke - usually oil

White Smoke - usually coolant

I would recommend getting rid of those Bosch +4 plugs. The KJ will run worse with them. Stick to the stock copper plug or an Iridium plug with a single or double tip.

If you did work on the KJ and somethings not right, go back over every nut and bolt you touched and make sure that nothing is loose. (This would be a good time to change those plugs to check them too)

You probably have oil on an exhuast pipe like Dave was saying and it's burning off. But go over everything and make sure.

Lastly, you don't need to change gas grades. If you are at elevation, that's different. But the KJ is designed to run off of 87 Octane only. No need to waste your money on any other grade of gasoline.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See is a hose or wire is brushing against an exhaust pipe -

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that this is not the problem, but I have heard of the Platinum +4's losing one of the 4 electrodes and it dropping down into a cylinder. I was going to replace mine with those and the guy at Pep Boys advised against it and actually sold me the cheaper double platinums. Said he would never use the +4's. Of course that could all be hear-say with no real truth to it. I hope so for your sake.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I changed my oil about two weeks ago (5Q Mobil1 5W-30 & Purolator PureOne filter) and I spilled a little bit of oil onto the engine manifold when pouring it into the fill spout because I'm just clumsy. It wasn't a lot and I mopped as much of it off of the engine as I could using a rag, but there was still some left. The next day when I took it on a 30+ mile drive, as soon as the engine warmed up, I smelled the burning oil. Didn't have any, but I just turned the vents to internal circulation only and closed the windows and it went away by the end of the drive once all the oil burned off. Definitely check to see if anything leaking or if you see any remnants or residue of oil that may have burned off due to the hot surfaces of the engine or exhaust. Hopefully it is just that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I changed my oil about two weeks ago (5Q Mobil1 5W-30 & Purolator PureOne filter) and I spilled a little bit of oil onto the engine manifold when pouring it into the fill spout because I'm just clumsy. It wasn't a lot and I mopped as much of it off of the engine as I could using a rag, but there was still some left. The next day when I took it on a 30+ mile drive, as soon as the engine warmed up, I smelled the burning oil. Didn't have any, but I just turned the vents to internal circulation only and closed the windows and it went away by the end of the drive once all the oil burned off. Definitely check to see if anything leaking or if you see any remnants or residue of oil that may have burned off due to the hot surfaces of the engine or exhaust. Hopefully it is just that.

more than likely this is all it is doesn't take much to make a lot of smell. as far as using higher test gas for the plugs, I would take them out put some good regular plugs in and run it like you stole it.

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blue Smoke - usually oil

White Smoke - usually coolant

White Smoke, and the funny smell seems to becoming from that area. The one thing I did do to get the last two spark plugs on the Left Side was slightly remove the tank that holds the coolant.

By Slightly I mean I disconnected the radiator hose and took the two bolts off then keeping the main hose underneath it attached I turned the tank around and away.

The hose is still properly attached and I put everything back the way it was (I took Pictures)

Also if it were a small spill of something wouldn't I have noticed it the first two weeks of driving?

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm I wonder if you should check your coolant level as well as the hose going to the reservoir (or anything you moved related to coolant/hoses), is it possible it is leaking coolant that is getting burned off on the hot surface of the engine?

Liber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well just as long as no one thinks there is any real real damage like if I were to have knocked debris into the cylinder

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you didnt use compressed air to blow all the dirt and crap out around from the spark plugs before taking them out its very likely that crap fell down into the cylinder.

That shouldnt cause smoke though, that would probably just cause the engine to burn oil.

Check to make sure the coolant isnt leaking. Is the coolant tank still full? Make sure its not smoking b/c it ran out of coolant.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didnt use compressed air to blow all the dirt and crap out around from the spark plugs before taking them out its very likely that crap fell down into the cylinder.

When I changed my plugs I was worried about that. When I pulled the first coil pak off I noticed that it had a rubber flange type boot that covered the spark plug hole and sealed it. Then there was a rubber o-ring seal just below that. So then I looked down in the plug hole to see what it looked like. It was brand-new clean shiney aluminum. Not a speck of dirt or anything. I checked every one carefully and even used a flashlight on the rear ones that I couldn't see well in. (yea, ok so I am ****) So if his and yours were the same as mine (mine is 05 MY) should be no worries.

Then before I put the coil packs back into position, I put a little silicone on the o-rings to lube them so they would slide in place easier and seal better. (the FSM said to do that also) I also put a little anti-sieze on the threads of the new plugs before I put them in. I also had a stone cold motor to work on as I like to be extra careful changing plugs in aluminum heads. Just snug them up + 1/4 turn. So the next time I change them they should be still real super clean inside....... (just me being **** again)......:D

Sorry, I got carried away, but dirt should be no problem the way mine were sealed anyway.

Dave

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
liv42dy
- off topic - did you check your PM's - Burchie said he sent one asking about database stuff

Latest posts

Members online