My Hella 500FF's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some Hella 500FF Driving lights. I am a bit undecided on where to mount them. Here is my current setup.
You must be registered for see images

1. Move current fog lights to rear and mount the Hella's like the Renegade fog lights.
  2. Mount them halfway between centerline of Jeep and current fog lights.
  3. Mount them on the cowl.
  4. Mount them upside down on bottom of bumper.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with option 2 as well. Option 1 would actually look better but then you'd have to find/buy some of the plastic inserts to fill the holes in the grille.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with option 2 as well. Option 1 would actually look better but then you'd have to find/buy some of the plastic inserts to fill the holes in the grille.

If you are talking about the ones in the picture below, I kept them after I put the current fog lights in. I can just put them back in.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I always thought that vehicles could use a bit extra rear lighting, as the reverse lights' purpose only seems to let people know that the vehicle is backing, they're not bright enough. Some good lamps in the rear would help out a lot. :)

That's why I suggested number 1.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just picked up some Hella 500FF Driving lights. I am a bit undecided on where to mount them. Here is my current setup.

1. Move current fog lights to rear and mount the Hella's like the Renegade fog lights.
  2. Mount them halfway between centerline of Jeep and current fog lights.
  3. Mount them on the cowl.
  4. Mount them upside down on bottom of bumper.

I would keep these (Guessing here) 4 inch lights in their current location.(In your case, directly in front of the factory lamp location and go with option #2.
That way you will have four additional lamps mounted within close proximity of the vehicles head lamps.
As far as having additional light at the back end of the Jeep, you have many options there as well.
You could mount a single wide angle back-up lamp mounted to your spare tire carrier.
If you have a 2 inch "Hidden hitch" or other trailer hitch then you can mount a double 55W lights that fits rite over top of the trailer hitch mount. (More expensive)
Or you can get a kit that allows you to mount 2 55watt low profile lights directly to the hitch again and this time allowing you to aim them where you want the light.

Now I'll ramble off on my own tangent!
I use 2 magnetic mount 55watt wide angle lamps that I have wired into my back-up lights and ona seperate circuit to operate off of the rear 12 volt power outlet. This allows me to use the lights to see backing up. And it allows me to have light when I'm at camp. Or I can take one or both of and use them as alley lights, etc.

Which ever you choose, I'm sure you will get the most out of the illumination of your lights...
BTW, The Hella 550FF?
Awesome choice!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mount between the current fog lights and buy some more lights and mount them to the rear.

Ive already got some lights for the rear but I cant find the time to install them. :( Gotta make some brackets or something.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up some cheap driving lights from walmart socks. Figured they would end up getting busted so I didnt want to get anything nice.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the Wal-Mart "Platinum Burners" 3.5 inch driving lights for my fogs. At $20 it was $180 cheaper that getting a stock set. They are also brighter and being mounted on top of the grill they get better coverage. I think I will go with mounting them next to the fogs. I think I will get another set of the Platinums and mount them to the trailer hitch once I get it.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I just got the Wal-Mart "Platinum Burners" 3.5 inch driving lights for my fogs. At $20 it was $180 cheaper that getting a stock set. They are also brighter and being mounted on top of the grill they get better coverage. I think I will go with mounting them next to the fogs. I think I will get another set of the Platinums and mount them to the trailer hitch once I get it.

post some photo's when you get them those Hella FF mounted please

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to mount these lights to the bumper. I intend to put them in front of the 2nd and 6th slots in the grill. Will I need to take off the bumper cover? Will drilling there damage any airbag sensors.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I've been wondering that myself. I however don't think so because I've seen the plastic/urethane bumper skin removed and no obvious wires attached to it.
Having said that, I'm still not 100% sure and I would hate to start drilling and POOF! watch the airbags deploy and end up with more expense that I don't need! (dunno)

Maybe somebody here with more knowledge can chime in with an answer?

Cheers

Ry'

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Ry, as far as you '04 goes it's easy enough to drill the bumper, I did it on mine. I'll try to find the picture I have somewhere that shows how far in to drill. For the '05+ models they did change things under the plastic, not sure how much.

Stampey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any pics, or tips on how to mount them to the bumper would be sweet! I as well have a set of hella 500's waiting to be mounted :D. Way to much stuff to do with to little time

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air bag sensors are not mounted to the bumper. They are mounted to the bars that run down the sides of the radiator. You can see them if you pop the hood.