My 2005 Liberty came with only one key!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

capitalv

Reaction score
I bought a 05 Liberty Limited and the dealer gave me one key. I went to my local Jeep dealer and bought a key and they programmed it for $150. The new key starts the car but when the car is locked and I use the key to unlock the drivers door it sets off the alarm. Since then I bought a 3rd key with the remote on Ebay and had it cut. According to the manual I can program a key if I have 2 good keys. After goin through the sequence when the second key is installed and turned to the on position, after 10 seconds or so the light in the dash is supposed to blink and it doesn't. I also looked in the manual and the original zip lock bag that the original keys came in was in there and it has some numbers on the bag. Could these numbers be useful for the dealer to get the correct program for the key. I assume that the key that I had programmed at the dealer is not the correct code since it sets off the alarm when I unlock the vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

ga_repoman

Reaction score
hope this helps

if the key unlocks the door them the key code is correct

key code is the number of the tumbler pin depths

what you need is the programing code which might be on the bag you have

my key code is a letter and 4 numbers
now the
pin number is for the programming of the key
and that is what is wrong with your key

I have a blank steel key cut that i can use to get into the jeep and it sets of the alarm just liked you mentioned .......

hope this helps

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got mine from CarMax it only had 1 key with the buttons on the FOB. They made me another coded key without the buttons as a spare. When I open the door with it the alarm goes off until I put the key in the ignition and start the Jeep. I really need to get the dealership to get me another complete key.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem when i bought mine, 1 key. I called a dealer for the build sheet just for giggles cause i am **** that way and it had the original owner on the bottom. So i wrote the lady a nice letter explaining my predicament an lo and behold she called me and said she would send me the extra one she had tried to give the dealer but i had bought the Jeep in the mean time. I expect it and and all the service papers she had in the mail tomorrow. It was worth a shot and it worked for me, maybe you could try that too. Good luck if you do!!

capitalv

Reaction score
Today I went back to the dealer that programmed my second key to see if it was programmed correctly. They said if it starts the car it is programmed correctly. They tried to program my third key and said it won't program. I bought the key on ebay and said only a key from Jeep will work. When I got home I called another Jeep dealer to see if the story jives, and they said some vehicles only have four slots in the Jeeps computer for programming keys. He said he could erase all the data and start from scratch and reprogram all my keys. Has anybody ever heard of this before. I'm spending a small fortune trying to make things right. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

maverick7321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not know that you could get a key for an 05 that did not have the built in remote that could be programmed to start the Liberty for I only got 1 key also.

I tried to get one when I bought my 05 but my jeep dealer told me it had to be the same exact key with the remote that I already had for that is the only one that would work.

I would really like to get one of these keys without the remote that can start and run the jeep does anyone happen to know the part number for it?

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
I have an o5 and when I bought it it came with 3 keys. 2 have the remote built into them. The third I am not sure what its for. its just a key to unlock the jeep I suppose. It will start the car but it dies within seconds of being started. No computer chip I suppose I think you may need the actual key with the remote built right on it.

capitalv

Reaction score
I did get a key without the remote at my local Jeep Dealer for $50, and they ripped me another $90 to program it being I had only one key. The key I bought on ebay could not be programmed at the dealer, so I got ripped off. Call around at Jeep dealers for programming costs. I really wanted a remote key and found another Jeep dealer that only charged $40 to program the key. I will never buy another vehicle with only one key.

fulltimer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an o5 and when I bought it it came with 3 keys. 2 have the remote built into them. The third I am not sure what its for. its just a key to unlock the jeep I suppose. It will start the car but it dies within seconds of being started. No computer chip I suppose I think you may need the actual key with the remote built right on it.

If you ever tow the KJ with all tires down on the road you use that key to unlock the steering. That way no body can drive off with your KJ.

Terry

tulsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 came with the remote and a gray non-remote key. I bought one of these http://www.allthingsjeep.com/rock-key-transponder.html and had it cut at the key place and programmed it using my other two keys.

Does you non-remote key cause the horn to honk when unlocking and quit after starting the engine as mine does? Is there anyone out there with a non-remote key that does not cause the horn to honk?

GoldDog53

Reaction score
Does you non-remote key cause the horn to honk when unlocking and quit after starting the engine as mine does? Is there anyone out there with a non-remote key that does not cause the horn to honk?

Neither of the non-remote keys cause the horn to honk. I don't have an alarm though, the only honking i can cause is with the remote panic button.

Members online