Must have options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charger

Reaction score
I’m 99% on picking up a Jeep Liberty after sweating the possibility of having to pay the gas mileage on a Tacoma. Most of my driving during the weekday will be a 23 mile stretch of nicely paved country road, that might provide some challenge in the winters. The weekends will be pure work on the freeway, bags of potting soil, sand, a dirtbike. (with trailer)
Other weekends will include dirty awesomeness hiking/fishing/trap shooting/camping. Expectation for offroad are for fire roads, USFS tracks and USFW roads.

Here's my criteria:

1. Utility - needs to fit the bill for the above mentioned reasons
2. Mileage - 26 mpg or better
3. Performance – high speed and low drag is my motto, hopefully my rig won’t drag
4. Style - Grills, bumpers, brush guards, lights?
5. “sweet” factor – any “must have” creature comforts?

What option packages do you consider must have?

(tow package, CRD engine, etc..)

2003KJ

Reaction score
well for your needs, I would definately get the tow package. Also comes with the heavy duty cooling package (viscos gear driven fan on top of the standard electric one), power steering pump cooler, and I believe a heavy duty ****** cooler. Rather be safe than sorry. If you plan on doing alot of offroading where there are shrubs and other debris on the ground, you might wanna consider the off road package. Comes with factory ****** skid and I can't remember which other it comes with. If you're just gonna be doing some offroading in the mud/muck, will probably do fine with out.

DEFINATELY get new tires. The OEM Goodyears are absolute crap and don't deserve to be on any vehicle......not even a Honda (and i despise honda's for the most part). Spend the bucks now and get some good all terrain. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo (make sure it's the REVO brand) and BFG All Terrain T/A's are a popular choice amongst people on here.

For adding lights and a brush guard and all, it can easily be done to a KJ, and for not as much as you might think.

For gas milage, don't count on 26....or anywhere near it for that matter. I average around 15....upwards of 16-16.5 if I can keep my foot out of it (but its soooo much damn fun to drive!)

As far as drag, its really not that bad. You can feel it driving against the wind on those really windy days, but it's not a complete box like a Cherokee, its more of a chamfered box....LOL.

I think you'd be much happier with a KJ than a Tacoma. If you can get past the gas milage part its an awesome Jeep that will get you almost anywhere stock. Were you looking to buy new or used?

For the rest of the options, like power locks and windows, thats almost standard....you'd have to get a really stripped Jeep to not have that. The 3.7L V6 has prooven to be a tough engine so far. The CRD's are new in North America, you might wanna give them some time to work the kinks out of them.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charger said:
Here's my criteria:

1. Utility - needs to fit the bill for the above mentioned reasons
2. Mileage - 26 mpg or better
3. Performance – high speed and low drag is my motto, hopefully my rig won’t drag
4. Style - Grills, bumpers, brush guards, lights?
5. “sweet” factor – any “must have” creature comforts?

What option packages do you consider must have?

(tow package, CRD engine, etc..)

1. My answer for this one is too closely tied to Q2... see Q2 for answer

2. 26MPG! You have NO choice, it's a CRD for you! Then you'll get close. I've been hearing 24/28 (city/highway) are more realizable numbers (forget what the window sticker says). As for your weekend hobbies and fun stuff, remember whatever you add to the vehicle (skid plates, rock rails, brush guards, bigger heavier tires, etc) also make the vehicle heavier and your fuel economy will take a hit. Just keep an eye on how much weight you add.

3. It isn't a race car, and it doesn't have the kick of something like a BMW X5, nor does it cost as much. I think for the price, it's got plenty of go. It's more peppy than some vehicles that cost nearly twice as much (H2 comes to mind)

4. There's lots of stuff you can do to make her your very own.

5. The first must have is 4WD, the second must have is the Selec-Trac Transfer Case. After that, you can dress her as you can afford. I like the auto-dim rear view in mine, but it might not fit everyone's "must have" options

Charger

Reaction score
So what I'm hearing is that the towing package is must have, along with the diesel, sweet.

How much is an aftermarket or factory skid plate kit?
Is cruise control really an option?!? I thought that's standard!
Please educate me why the Selec-Trac is superior/inferior to the Command Trac? (2 4H n 4L) vs. (2 4.5 4H n 4L)

Any other must-haves?

CHUD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charger said:
Please educate me why the Selec-Trac is superior/inferior to the Command Trac? (2 4H n 4L) vs. (2 4.5 4H n 4L)

Any other must-haves?

Selec-Trac (2wd, 4part-time, 4full-time, 4Lo) provides full-time 4wd, so there's no shifting in & out of 4hi as conditions change & can be run under all conditions. I like the full-time 4wd on rainy streets. Tires won't slip when you step on the gas from a stop.

ABS, sunroof & heated seats were a must for me.

4Factor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Command Trac
2WD
4WD Part Time - All wheels locked together by chain, they must rotate equally (on turns the rear wheels go less distance and must spin to release the extra revolutions) Used for low traction surfaces only, not dry pavement or high traction surfaces.
4LO - Like 4WD Part Time with the added 2.72:1 torque ratio

Selec-Trac
Same as Command Trac with one extra option
4WD Full Time - Puts a differential between the front and rear output shafts on the transfer case. This allows the output shafts (and therefore the front and rear axles) to rotate at different speeds. Useful for when you need 4WD on dry pavement or other high traction surfaces or when the surface is always changing (such as clear roads that have small amounts of snow blown across them here and there.. or patchy ice)

2003KJ

Reaction score
Its really a matter of preference. Selec-Trac has the 4 full time option, you can just throw it in that setting and forget about it, year round. Of if you do alot of driving that goes from bad roads to good roads on and off alot, you dont have to keep shifting in and out.

I've got Command-Trac in mine and havent had a single bit of trouble out of it.

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CRD package came with
700 Battery
Floor Carpet
Diesel Badge
16 x 7 wheels
selec trac
4 wheel anti lock brakes
engine heater
So if you are getting the diesel it already comes with selc trac =D>
My skid plate group was $150. Get it!

Oh yeah and the smokers group is only $30 and a MUST have :^o . (LOL)
Leather is a must for me now. I have a child and already have had to clean the clothe seats twice. Leather is an easy wipe off.

Latest posts

Members online