multiple misfires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gadaddy

Reaction score
Doing some work on the jeep today and really screwed something up. Changed passenger side valve cover gasket - changed coolant and thermostat - got it all back together and got a flashing check engine light. Runs like crap. Says p0300 p0302 p0303. I degreased and sprayed a good bit of water on it. Belts were squealing. What have I done to it? I know these are misfire codes but don't understand why. :emotions122:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you spray water on it before starting and getting the misfire codes? If so, pull all the coils out, and blow the water out of the spark plug holes. Make sure all is dry then re-install the coils and start it up.

gadaddy

Reaction score
Yea, first I dumped coolant all over it when I flushed the heater core. Then I rinsed all the coolant off with the hose. Then a little clean up with degreaser and MORE water. I really hope its easy like you suggest. Thank you for the help.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive seen it many times, where just a little water pressure will push water past the weather seals on the coils. It only takes a little moisture to create a short, and misfire. With the misfire codes, that gives you an idea where it is worst.

gadaddy

Reaction score
You were right on the money. Pulled all the coil packs this morning and blew some nasty crap out of there. Put it back together and it runs like a champ. Check engine light is still on but its not flashing. Just waiting for it to reset. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right on the money. Pulled all the coil packs this morning and blew some nasty crap out of there. Put it back together and it runs like a champ. Check engine light is still on but its not flashing. Just waiting for it to reset. Thanks for your help.

You may be out for a long wait. Misfire codes take a long time, if ever to clear. Best to have someone clear it, like autozone or some place that serves no better function.

gadaddy

Reaction score
Fortunately these codes appeared to have reset this morning. Light is off, and all seems well.

AVR2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get occasional misfire codes, but they reset after the standard 40 key cycles, or whatever it is.