multifunction switch install (multi function)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mushupork

Reaction score
After not having dimming instrument lights for a long time in my 2003 Jeep Liberty I finally got fed up and bought a new multi function switch. Getting the shroud off was the hardest part. Clicked the replacement in place and everything worked. The problem is that I discovered that while the left turn signal works it never disengages. I can make a 180 degree left turn and when the steering wheel straightens the turn signal still clicks and flashes. Right turn works just as it is supposed to.

Must be a bad part, right? So I got a second replacement switch today and am having the same issue. Left turn never disengages. Very frustrated. I can test the switch in my hand and manually get it to click on and off so the part works.

What are the odds I got two bad parts? ... so it must mean I am the bad part :happy175: Is there a step of this install I am missing? Do I need the wheel in a certain position when I click the switch in place so the white clicky tab aligns with something in the steering wheel or something?

Any suggestions welcome - with so many posts on the multifunction switch causing weird electrical issues there must be a 100 people out there who swapped theirs out already.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to tell customers, there's a reason why all parts come with a warranty. You have an automatic 50% chance of the part being faulty and failing right out of the box. While I did a swap to an Export Switch for Rear Fogs, no issues at hand, the switch was practically brand new despite being pulled off a KJ that I guess had a short life span in the UK. So there's a chance that the return springs were damaged on both the parts you have. Do you still have the old switch, try it out and see if that works. If it does, then both switches were bad with their return springs. Otherwise you may have a new issue at hand if the old switch does the same thing.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"White clicky tab" is activated by another piece of plastic in steering column that has two "clicky tab activators", one to work "clicky tab" left, the other, right. My guess is one of em's broke.

Bob

mushupork

Reaction score
My local dealers did not stock the part and I got a replacement switch at Autozone - two of them of course. It was cheaper and I did not have to wait for shipping.

It sounds like there was not a step I missed in install so maybe it is the parts after all.

After sitting here for a couple hours stewing it occurs to me that maybe the parts are not so much faulty as maybe the design is? Both replacement parts have the same symptom after all. I am on the IL/WI border and as it turns out I had to get one on the WI side and the other on the IL side so I doubt these were in the same shipment or same production run.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Bob's right.

It probably isn't your new switch. There's usually a plastic piece between the steering column and wheel with left cancel tab and right cancel tab. One of your tabs broke. Might have jammed on the switch install. I was into mine about 4years ago but I don't remember it in detail. I'll look at my old parts tomorrow and remember more. Usually the steering wheel has to come off to install plastic thingy. Rented a puller from the car parts place.

Maybe I'm wrong.

libertybob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Root cause

Agree with M38Bob that the probable cause is a broken cancel cam on the steering column. Turn the steering wheel 360 degrees both ways from center position. Do you see two cancel cams on the steering column? If not, check to determine if one is broken off. Most columns have two cancel cams but am not familiar with Liberty's. Did the steering column cancel the turn signals both ways with the old switch? Why not re-install the old switch and see if the steering column still cancels the turn switch both ways? This would indicate whether it is a steering column problem or new switch problem.

mushupork

Reaction score
Birdman: I tried to open my original one up to see if I could clean the dimmer manually but the clips broke in the process. I did that on a Nissan dimmer many year ago. The way out is through now. I would not trust it even if I could reassemble it.

Bob: I will take a look at the wheel tonight when I get home. Anyone know if the tabs (cams?) I am looking for are a different color so they would be easily seen? White plastic on a steel/black wheel for example? Just so I know that if I don't see it is not just bad eyesight or poor lighting :)

Thanks again for the tips.

McTudor

Reaction score
I replaced my multi-function switch about a month ago. I also used an aftermarket part rather than pay OEM prices.

On my Liberty there was only 1 big tag that was used for the cancel cam.

The issue was the little white piece that is actuated by the cancel cam is just a smidge too short on the multi-function part. Having parts not be exact is a risk that is taken when purchasing an aftermarket part.

My solution was to super glue a piece of a zip tie to the white cancel stick. I made it a little longer and filed it down until the signal stalk operated correctly.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
McTudor's right. One ********* plastic tab cancels left and right signals. It nests in the back of the "clockspring" which is easy to break if you follow the book. Good news is it's probably OK since your cancel works n one direction.

Might be able to see or feel the cancel tab with the switch out. You'll probably need to turn the wheel to make it show up... don't bite your finger.

Should be able to test the switch by hand with the switch out: signal left and push the little white tab both ways. One way cancells and the other way just lets the little white tab get out of the way. Repeat for right signal. Same black tab operates both so it seems like both sides should cancel if one side works.

Still wrestling with photobucket. I''ve progressed to getting pictures in there and seeing them but nissan pop-ups keep veering in front of me so I had to leave before my phone had an accident.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Switch, clockspring, and the cancel tab doodad in my hand.

Attachments

• IMG_20150714_122748_153.jpg
    IMG_20150714_122748_153.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20150714_122802_565.jpg
    IMG_20150714_122802_565.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20150714_122927_912.jpg
    IMG_20150714_122927_912.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 19

mushupork

Reaction score
Thanks so much

"One ********* plastic tab cancels left and right signals. "

If true and right turns cancel - only left doesn't - that suggests that I don't have a broken tab. Maybe the tab is too short to reach when turning one direction (left) but not the other (right).

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
My dimmer switch and blinker cancels worked fine before the dog ate the wiper switch. If you can mate our bad parts to make a good switch you're welcome to it for postage from AK.

Might be worth pulling the switch and peeking at the cancel tab to see if it's undamaged. Wiggle the switch to the right as it goes back in. Maybe it wasn't settled in all the way and couldn't quite reach. The little white cancel tab actually retracts a bit with no blinkers blinking.