Mr. Clean Auto Dry

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched for Autodry, no results. Didn't anyone try it? I am sure it won't work on mudders but for casual dirt and roadgrime, it should work. I was planning on buying it, the water were I would be hand washing the car is very very harsh, whenever I wash the wheels and bumpers it leaves very bad white spots, and they are hard to get off, I was thinking if Autodry filter will help..

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Autodry

I bought one when they first came out, they have a new version now. The new version has a more powerful spray. The original is navy blue, the newer one is black.

It works great, but you have to use their soap and their filter. They claim the filter lasts up to 10 washes, it turns brown when it needs to be changed. We've got pretty hard water here and the filter usually only lasts me 2-3 washes, but I stretch it to 5 or 6.

Wash the car in sections, avoid direct sunlight and it will work as claimed. I tried to wax it after washing it and the wax left a rainbow film, but it looks good without wax.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rainbow was probably because of reaction to the "auto dry" mechanism. Maybe some chemicals. Probably best to wax it after getting the car washed at a carwash using the chepaest option.

As for the autodry, did you mitt soap it before hands or used it straight and alone? It says if you got a lot of debris like mud on the flaps or near tires, and a lot of bird droppings, you have to soap it up first and clean it in parts then do the autodry. I didn't really understand that but it seems reasonable if you tried to wash it after a good offroad session.

That's my concern, what is the dirtiest you washed with autodry and how it worked. Someone must be lazy enough to think about doing it.

Gris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used it straight out of the sprayer and was not at all satisfied with the results.

We got the thing on clearence at Wal-Mart. I did the whole jeep twice (all that I could with the tiny amount of detergent it came with) and the results were still horrible. I went over it a 3rd time with my mitt to actually get it clean.

I guess it might work for normal dust and what not, but even the little bit of mud I had at the time was too much for it.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found these: http://www0.epinions.com/Mr_Clean_AutoDry_Car_Wash_System

I guess it is still OK to use for occasional regular washes when the car is not very dirty, in the meantime you can take it through a carwash for about $6 off-peak hours.

For some reason I cannot find the price on it.. If it costs anthing over $30 I don't think it is that worth it.. on the other hand might be worth for a spot free new car with good finish, because carwash normally scratches, especially when it is followed by a dirty-rag-drying episode..

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got version 2 but it was the same color, had an extra setting though.

I am very happy with mine. 1) wet the car with the spray setting, 2) soap the car in small sections top down and scrub with mitt, 3) spritz it with the auto dry. The auto dry is just a wetting agent that keeps the water drops from puddleing so the run off and don't leave a spot.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a big box the other day, it looked it it comes with whole bunch of stuff, did your comes with sponge, brushy thing and piece to adjust flow? Or you used your own mitt/sponge.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Car wash

When I come in from the trail, I'll spray it off at a car wash before washing it myself. Mainly, to keep all the much out of my driveway.

I had poor results just spraying, so I always handwash with a sponge and the Mr. Clean soap. My Jeep is black, everything shows. Then I spray it off with the regular setting, then rinse with the filtered setting.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Car wash

VTNomad said:
I had poor results just spraying, so I always handwash with a sponge and the Mr. Clean soap. My Jeep is black, everything shows. Then I spray it off with the regular setting, then rinse with the filtered setting.

Pretty much how I do it. It works well with our hard water out here which leaves real bad water spotting if washed and rinsed normal. The only thing I don't like is it seems to leave a film on the glass which attracts dirt bad after a day in the dusty conditions. I have noticed that after a couple days of just regular dust that it rinses back off pretty clean again with just the spray mode followed by the filtered mist. Keeps it looking good for a few more days. Overall I am happy just to be w/out the dang spots.

FWIW, I will be claying it soon and then following with some Rejex which I found out about here. We will see how well that works after shes good and dirty again. :-k

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time I just wash it in the driveway but I dry it with a shamois (spelling ?) otherwise I get spots no matter how well I rinse it. It's black and this seems to work fine.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter doesn't last long like mentioned earlier... and the results were not good enough to merit the cost of the filters and such... Thumbs Down

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from a guy thats on the meguiars forums ALOT, I know a purty good lot about the finish on a car and how to take care of it. If you want to use this thing, and i recommend not to b/c Im sure it introduces swirls into the paint, I would spray the car very good with a strong stream of water to remove as much dirt as possible. Then spray the care with the thing or however it goes and use a mitt to remove the dirt. I would also spray the mitt out alot to keep dirt from building up in it and causing more scratches. Then do the final rinse.

With mine, I use something called the two bucket method. One bucket is for soap, and the other has clean water in it to wash my mitt off after Ive washed a section of the jeep. Then I put the mitt back into the bucket with soap and move on. I wash the rims +tires then wash the fender wells. Yea, I keep my jeep fairly clean. O:)

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
With mine, I use something called the two bucket method. One bucket is for soap, and the other has clean water in it to wash my mitt off after Ive washed a section of the jeep. Then I put the mitt back into the bucket with soap and move on. I wash the rims +tires then wash the fender wells. Yea, I keep my jeep fairly clean. O:)

Two bucket method. YAY YAY =D>

I keep a fairly clean jeep most of the time also.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to keep it clean but I cannot wash it so very often, and I don't want to keep taking it to carwash, they don't do a good job, so whenever I get a chance I do overall.
When you use two bucket, what kind of detergent or soap do you use? Once I got a "super car wash soap" that came with the carwash brush set, all it did was buble up, but did not clean at all. I hated that.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meguiars is usually my shop of choice.

I have been a car detailer for about 3 years now. I usually use all meguiar products, and a few choice other ones.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, meguairs gold glass soap is some of the best stuff you will ever use! The Deep crystal soap is good too, alittle cheaper than the GC.

So you use meguairs too especko?

My arsenal:

You must be registered for see images attach

alpnst

Reaction score
meguairs gold is okay, but you haven't lived until you have tried the stuff from Griots Garage. There stuff will change your thoughts about car care. Here is a link to the water filter they sell. i have been meaning to get one, I just haven't had a chance. http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=Water&search.x=0&search.y=0[/url]
I have almost everything they sell and I will never go back to autozone to buy another cleaning product. i highly recomend the random orbital. i have the porter cable, they just stopped selling, and it works amazing. I just spent yesterday detailing the Liberty.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alpnst said:
meguairs gold is okay, but you haven't lived until you have tried the stuff from Griots Garage. There stuff will change your thoughts about car care. Here is a link to the water filter they sell. i have been meaning to get one, I just haven't had a chance. http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=Water&search.x=0&search.y=0[/url]
I have almost everything they sell and I will never go back to autozone to buy another cleaning product. i highly recomend the random orbital. i have the porter cable, they just stopped selling, and it works amazing. I just spent yesterday detailing the Liberty.

Wow, Ive never heard of that brand... Alot of people dont really know what meguiars has to offer. The stuff in the store is just the consumer line of meguairs. When you get into the detailer and professional line is when you get into the good stuff. Ive yet to get alot of the professional b/c Ive never needed it plus it cost alot.

I just bought a PC not long ago, Im fairly sure they still make them.

I would love to have that filter! Thats the cheapest one Ive seen so far. Why would they try to sell a water hose end for $75? Are they crazy?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.