MPG's in the toilet, suddenly?!?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally I run at around 16 to 19 city. But now, in the past month or so I'm lucky to get 10 - 12!!! This is crap. IDK...

I have e of course been well up to date with all the usual stuff (oil changing n tire pressure and etc.).

Having spoken with a mechanic the result was " we don't want to rip you off... so unless there's a CEL or something we can't figure it out"

a "Jeep Guy" thought this... Could be crapped out injectors or a fuel pump/filter issue. So I'm willing to put my money into replacing those myself, but Im wondering besides this, is there anything else that could create this situation?

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on when they started or where you are part of it could be the winter blend gas. Wouldn't see a drop that big though.

When was the last time you replaced the plugs and air filter?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on when they started or where you are part of it could be the winter blend gas. Wouldn't see a drop that big though.

When was the last time you replaced the plugs and air filter?

x2. Plugs and filter. Start cheap!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
winter blend dropped my mpg 4 on the highway and 2.5 in the city over night. i really hate the stuff

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Winter blend gas and extra ideling in the real cold weather has my EVIC at 10.1mpg around town. I just recently changed my plugs, air filter and pcv too. Winter gas is most of the problem. (lift and bigger tires don't help though)

Dave

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm at 13.3 IIRC. Winter gas, having "fun" in the snow, and the ski rack isn't helping much. :D

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gas station where I fill up has alcohol free gas.. I'm still at 14 mpg but that's normal for me. I'm a very "spirited" driver

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

james06scl

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located, but if it's been colder, there is a lot more resistance in the differentials, transfer case etc, until the fluids are able to warm up. Winter blend fuel is also a factor. Short trips are the worst for fuel economy, especially in colder winter temperatures. All vehicles are susceptible to this, my car normally gets 40mpg hwy and it is down to 35mpg. Our Jeep has been the same with respect to its normal mpg.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a "what's your gas mileage" thread here? I get 14 mpg combination driving (in the summer), and on past straight highway road trips I got 17, which is slightly lower than what mine (02) was "rated" at in stock form. You've been getting 16-19 city? That's exceptional. Must be those cross-drilled rotors doing that! ;)

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Before the winter gas kicked in I was getting about 21mpg combined. 95% of my driving was to and from campus, 35 miles round trip, with about a 28/7 mile highway/city split. Now I'm not even getting 20mpg on the highway alone, which I just measured during a 750 mile round trip to VA and back over the weekend.