Mountain Trip 05

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
For those who remember my post this time last year on my trip to the mountains, Sunday I continued where I left off. I got on the Blue Ridge Parkway just south of Boone, and kept going untill Linville Falls, only because part of the parkway is still closed thanks to the road being washed out from Hurricanes a couple of years ago. My hopes were to end in Asheville at the Biltmore Estate, but maybe when the parkway is back open again. Here are the pics I got. I missed the best week of color by one week, but there was still plenty left. They are kind of dark becuase it was somewhat cloudy when I got up there. Only one shot with the KJ.

You must be registered for see images attach

Over the entire trip, I managed to get 22mpg. Pretty damn impressive if you ask me, considering I was doing 85-90mph the whole way there, and 85-90mph back. Got a little worried as when I hit the mountain and started climbing, the ****** wouldn't downshift. I hit about 35mph in 4th gear still and it slammed into 2nd and the rpm's shot up to 4000 and stayed there till i hit the top of the mountain. I couldn't get it to go into third or anything. Then when I got back to town, I filled up with gas and upon trying to leave the station, I put it in gear and it wouldn't budge. Took several attempts to get going. Once I got home i backed in and when i put it in "park" from "reverse" it stalled out. And did it again later on when I backed it into the garage. Hasn't done it since, so i'm assuming it was just tired of my "abuse" for the day and wasn't happy...lol. But like I said, still managed 22mpg...not too bad if you ask me! \:D/

Other than the above mentioned "quirks", the lib did good. The more opportunities I get to take trips with it (the mountains twice now, and the beach once), the more and more impressed I am with its performance. It's so easy to drive on the highway at speed, and has so much capeability than your average vehicle. If i wasn't hooked on Jeeps before, I DEFINATELY am now \:D/

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice photos and write up! I visited around Asheville about a year ago on business. I definitely want to do some touring of NC.
outtahere.gif

Not bad MPG too for that driving!

2003KJ

Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
shouldnt this be in the "post ur KJ pics" area?...... :-s

(pullin yer chain Tim)

nice pics

You would think that wouldn't ya? But since there's only ONE with my KJ in it, I didn't think that qualified for the entire thread to be over there.....smart ass!....LOL

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
-=JoN=- said:
shouldnt this be in the "post ur KJ pics" area?...... :-s

(pullin yer chain Tim)

nice pics

You would think that wouldn't ya? But since there's only ONE with my KJ in it, I didn't think that qualified for the entire thread to be over there.....smart ass!....LOL

well it still had ur KJ in it..so that in fact right there makes it a KJ set of pics....

HA!

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
how can it be a set when theres only one with the KJ in it??? Touche!!! [-X

well, like i said, that one pic w/ ur kj in the set, makes it a set...due to technicality....

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed strange behavior on steep hills as well, with the manual. I often have to shift down into 5th or even 4th to keep speed when I have a lot of passengers/gear. Makes sense that the auto would be bogging down the same way and downshifting

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.