More Performance for the 3.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7's are complete and total dogs. I am not "dreaming" when I say I need more engine performance. I have stock height, stock tires, 3.73 gears. No way in hell am I changing to 4.10's...wouldn't be able to travel on the interstate then.

I dunno about that....

A 4,000 LB SUV that can cruise all day long at 85 MPH with the cruise on and not have any shifting issues going up the grades isn't a dog.....

And I don't get jumped at stop lights very often either...... With either of my vehicles with 3.7's..... It has respectable performance.

Have to remember that the 3.7L puts out the same or more HP than many of the older V8's did stock back in the 70's, 80's etc.....

The 3.7L was introduced in the Liberty so it's really balanced performance wise for that model, then they started using it in the Ram's and Dakotas etc....

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3.7L is what it is.......

If you need more power in a jeep you can get a GC with a hemi or an SRT8.....just sayin. I drove a 05 GC with the hemi and it was "peppy"....LOL

Dave

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7L is what it is.......

If you need more power in a jeep you can get a GC with a hemi or an SRT8.....just sayin. I drove a 05 GC with the hemi and it was "peppy"....LOL

Dave

Yep, exactly....

And get much worse gas mileage to boot...

Only reason to get something like that is if one is towing a really heavy boat or camper, then the HP would be useful.....

Used to work for Dodge, drove most of them with the Hemi and or the SRT8's... And the 3.7's and 4.7's.....

That said the higher HP V6 Penastar isn't exactly the standard of reliability from the reports.... Still too new I guess, working out the kinks....

Remembering the old rule of 100HP per 100 Cubic inches, go over that and reliability becomes an issue.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I build engines with more power and do not use it. The juice is worth the squeeze.

My stroked 4.0 I averaged 17-23mpg depending on how i drove it. Typically, I drove it nice, and averaged 21-23mpg. I could pound on it and get worse, and I did, but not very often.

I have the self control necessary to use the kind of performance I'm talking about getting from a 3.7. Maybe not everyone does, but the simple fact is power to weight is an increase in MPG, if driven nicely. there is no arguing that, it is fact. Whether you get MPG's out of it is your own deal.

The 3.7's are complete and total dogs. I am not "dreaming" when I say I need more engine performance. I have stock height, stock tires, 3.73 gears. No way in hell am I changing to 4.10's...wouldn't be able to travel on the interstate then.

Really I think you need something besides the Liberty. The power is good for 99% of what I do, its not a high performance machine, never will be and never meant to be. Don't think the 3.7s are dogs per se but they are what they are. Really I see no use in spending 1000s when the end product would not do any more than what it does now really.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really I think you need something besides the Liberty. The power is good for 99% of what I do, its not a high performance machine, never will be and never meant to be. Don't think the 3.7s are dogs per se but they are what they are. Really I see no use in spending 1000s when the end product would not do any more than what it does now really.

I often wonder if anyone has driven a similar model of similar year. Escapes are even slower, and don't even get me started on the 4 ****** RAVs and CRVs...

The 3.7L for its time was a powerhouse. It did what it needed to do and more. Yes I've driven many faster machines before. Most of which were either new, or cars.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ravs not fast??
mmmmm I got stopped for speeding in one over in Tanzania
Topped a hill and there stood a rather large lady with a speed gun pointed at me :happy175::happy175:
Best 20,000 shillings I spent:icon_lol:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ravs not fast??
mmmmm I got stopped for speeding in one over in Tanzania
Topped a hill and there stood a rather large lady with a speed gun pointed at me :happy175::happy175:
Best 20,000 shillings I spent:icon_lol:

Yeah. Early 2000 Ravs that I drove are slow...

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad a new 3.6 Pentastar can't be retrofitted...about 305hp out of a slightly smaller 6....

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too bad a new 3.6 Pentastar can't be retrofitted...about 305hp out of a slightly smaller 6....

Oh it can......let me grab my torch, bfh and $50k out of my pickle jar.

Is it logical? Nope. But if they can stuff a sbc on a motorcycle or a blown 460 in a 65 stang then you can shove anything in a liberty, but for it not to be a hack job, and to do it right you will have to have some deep pockets or be very hungry for awhile.

I feel the 3.7 has plenty of power for my uses and if I ever go to 32, I will regear

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Over there , yes it is sadly. I was talking to one guy who lived nearby and he asked what my airline ticket cost, when I told him he sat for a long time not saying anything and then finally remarked, I may never make that much in a lifetime.
20,000 shillings with the difference in American dollar then was about 12-15 bucks, cheapest ticket I ever got ! :Big Laugh:

Latest posts

Members online