more categories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
with general liberty discussion carrying all the weight of general topics, would you think we need more sub-cats?
Accessories and Parts could be one,
Engine / Drivetrain related topics could be another,
i am not sure what else, but could be determined by the topic types on under general discussion category.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
That's a good idea... Perhaps I can just relabel some categories....

I've always believed more isn't always better... Simple and clean is what I'm looking for... I know myself I get "lost" if there is too much to click on. What needs to happen is we need to figure out what would be the best structure as a group.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, simple clean to the point is always better but when one category has 13315 and others are at hundreds, something needs to be done. Topics get lost after a few days, but it is very nice that we have 50 topics per page viewing option set as default.

Whatever works for you. O:)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
i think for now it's good...
best thing I think is to compile some info we've gotten over the years....and dump theom on the faq questions....
i notice we get a lot of the same q's every so often.....

also we can probably separate the faq/ how to, tsb and such to a different "info" type sub cat, and just put the general, then like powertrain stuff...
but then...it would add more..and more can be bad....

LIke LOST..very intimidating...it has a wealth of knowledge, but..it's just so damn huge....

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are right, after stopping by LOST, I had a headache.. So huge and some categories are mock-like with overlapping topics and way too many sections.

But I still would consider breaking up the general discussion, maybe "Cleaning you Jeep" since we had a few topics on this. And "After-Market Accessories" + "OEM Parts/Accessories" topic ?

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think we have a good setup right now.

Also, the first time I visited the LOST forums, I actually died.
If it wasn't for reincarnation I would be long gone right now.

alljeep

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
You guys are right, after stopping by LOST, I had a headache.. So huge and some categories are mock-like with overlapping topics and way too many sections.

But I still would consider breaking up the general discussion, maybe "Cleaning you Jeep" since we had a few topics on this. And "After-Market Accessories" + "OEM Parts/Accessories" topic ?

Along with the detailed categories come the "category mongers protest.gif " over there that berate any difference in opinion. Better to keep it general so the "experts" have nothing to control...

wrc.gif

Thankfully, I've de-LOST myself.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was a way to create sub categories, that would be the best way..

on other forums like SMF which I mentioned previously, you can create a forum with subforums, NOT like VB where they all are listed, but they are right underneath the main topic with small italics so they don't look that cluttered.

At least topics could have been classified properly, instead of searching through thousands of posts to something that was posted before..

like this:
You must be registered for see images

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
good stuff hyde, but still too much...may not look as big as it is in other places, but it's too sub categorized....