Mopar Skids Vs... /Roof racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeJ06

Reaction score
Hello all...

Could anyone give me their opinion(s) on what is currently available for the KJ in the line of skid plates?

Are the mopar ones up to *****? I've only seen pictures and from what I can tell they seem a bit diminished in size when comparison to some of the aftermarket variety but with a much much better price. Are there particular skids from mopar that I should avoid like the one for the transmission?

Also, if anyone owns the expedition/roof rack from mopar what is the size? The one from Garvin is 44x52x4, I'd rather save some cash and go with mopar's if the size is comparable.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mopar engine skid (the one all the way in the front) is a stout little piece of metal, but yeah the ****** skid is a bit on the weak side. That's mostly due to the fact that it covers such a large span front-to-back with support only on the ends. There are several aftermarket units to replace it, most notably the All-Js unit, one from Skid Row and one from Rustys. Of the three I'd say the All-Js is probably the best - I helped Casey (o8k) put his on his CRD and it is a hefty unit with some nice cross-bracing. For the t-case the mopar unit is probably good enough, it's not a large space to cover. For the gas tank I'd say go with the Kilby skid; the mopar one has drain openings in the bottom corners that could let something nasty get at the tank. I remember one guy over on L.O.S.T. that had a branch go thru one of the holes and punch a nice little hole in his tank :eek:

Anyway that's my thoughts. I'm sure some of the others will chime in here and add theirs.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on the terain you wheel the mopar skids are fine
the trany skid is the only one I would avoid they are to week
the other 3 seem fine so far
I have yet to take a big hit on the KJ fuel tank but it is the same as the one on the TJ and it has survived severalorv parks over the past 3 years