Misfire, lose of power, wont rev past 3,000

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(manual tran). So I'm having an issue or maybe 2. Check engine light is on and sometimes flashes. My libby wont rev past 3,000 rpms and when i do it cuts power. I can hear it missing and when i hooked it up to the computer it came back with misfire on cyl 2 also said 3 and 4 were detected. There is a serious lack of power due to the misfire I'm sure.
I went to work this morning without an issue and was able to rev past 3,000 like normal but right before work when the engine temp hit normal operating temp (I'm assuming) it started cutting out again. It did the same thing on the way home. When the engine is cold its fine but when it hits operating temp all hell lets loose.
So is there a heat sensor that is telling the computer that the engine is running to hot and shutting down cylinders (i know some vehicles have this to prevent over heating) or........I dont know need some suggestions.
Note, I did blow out the coils in cylinder 2,3,4 in the cold last night thinking there might be some condensation or water that got in there.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that was one of my thoughts along with the plugs but the temperature thing is puzzling me. It shouldnt matter what the temp is, if a coils bad its bad right? Thats why i think i may a couple things happening here.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
As a coil is used, it builds heat inside causing expansion..possibly a break in a wire...causing misfire. It may just be the coils life span....how many miles on the KJ?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the codes an see which cylinders are misfiring. When was the last time you changed the plugs? If the plugs are good switch a coil from a good cylinder to the cylinder with the misfire.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I had to replace a coil pack last year just before the 100K/60M warranty was up...cylinder #2 I think it was. Coils will sometimes just go, and sometimes it's a time/heat cycle that brings out the problem.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 85k on it right now. I have had it for less then 6 months so who knows when the last time they were changed. Makes sense with them heating up and than causing it to fail out. With what the codes show and hearing the blatant misfiring the coils and plugs is what i was leaning towards.....just wanted to make sure there wasnt something else also going on with the temperature deal.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coating the inside and outside with dielectric grease every time you change the plugs will keep those coil packs in good working condition.;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coating the inside and outside with dielectric grease every time you change the plugs will keep those coil packs in good working condition.;)
Worst possible thing you can do since it now gives aother path for the spark to travel causing a misfire.Just a small amount on the end of the plug where the coil sits is all that is needed,a very small amount so it does not get on the coil boot.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be heat related coil failure but what about the computer being in closed loop until the engine warms up - sensor failure?

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats in line with what my mechanic buddy was telling me but if its a sensor shouldnt the diagnostic pick that up? Just trying to dial this in before i start throwing $ at the problem.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With electrical parts going bad they usually work fine until they warm up. Why? Because as the temperature increases in the metal being used to conduct the electricity the resistance increases. If that is the case the coil pack materials are creating too much resistance and are out of spec. I don't know how many times I've seen people misdiagnose something on an engine and never taken this into account. I don't know if this applies here, but if it runs fine until it warms up, well there you go. Another symptom is when a car doesn't start when it is hot, usually it is the ignition, it just can't pump enough current through it when it is hot. Just my thoughts...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start simple.. Clear the codes...

New plugs, costs about $25 for plugs and some dielectric grease and antiseize.

Drive and see if the problem comes back.

If the problem comes back.. Clear the codes... Swap one of the cylinders that are reporting a misfire with one that isn't, for example take the coil pack from #1 and put it on #2. Drive until it acts up again and then get the codes again and see if #1 had a misfire now but #2 is ok. If thats the case then you have a bad coil pack. If neither 1 or 2 have a misfire then swap them back and take #1 and swap with #3 or #4 and again clear codes and try again. The goal here is to troubleshoot if its bad coil packs without spending any money.

If you can eliminate a misfire on one of the cylinders by swapping then go buy a new coil pack and replace that one. And again drive for a while and see if the other two still act up. And continue that until they are all swapped.

They aren't too bad of a price though, like $20 a piece at Advance Auto Parts the last time i looked, so if you wanted you could buy three new ones, or heck six new ones, just depends on how much money you want to spend.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worst possible thing you can do since it now gives aother path for the spark to travel causing a misfire.Just a small amount on the end of the plug where the coil sits is all that is needed,a very small amount so it does not get on the coil boot.
Permatex recommends applying some to the spark plug ceramic and the boot. I've always done it this way with various engines, never ever had a misfire problem.

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine did that.

Simple fix for the problem...a new engine.

Just kidding...I have no idea what could be causing your problem. The guys have already given you the advice I would have. But it is funny, the symptoms are exactly the same as mine, minus the knocking and milky oil.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
lol thats funny....but ever time somebody post about their kj messing up it always messes up on the way to work...just had to say that...but ya i would do what budke said.

punkguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha no milky oil or knocking so we can rule out a new engine :) I'm gonna go ahead and just replace all the coils and sparkys considering who knows the last time they were replaced before I got my hands on it (85k on it so probably never) I think I was just over thinking it as far as the temp goes and thinking it was a sensor of some sort or the computer not reading right along with the miss-firing issue.
So in under 6 months of owning it I have installed new pads, rotors, water pump and radiator (rad and pump went out last weekend)..........not too bad for under 6 months! ha.
Thanks for the advise guys. I will be sure to post the results of everything when its all said and done.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you don't know how old the plugs are, they are probably original. Start with that. Multiple coil failures are unlikely.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I would be suspicous of the real mileage on that vehicle. What was the condition of the coolant, did it overheat? Water pump and radiator at 85K? Really?

Members online

No members online now.