Minor Mod's to Stocker KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjman2009

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm 17 and I've got my own 07 kj sport. right now i'm looking to make it just a little bit more aggressive looking without goin for the full-out trail rider look. I just wanna put a few inches on it and some tires that are a little better than those crap goodyears they put on that last what 15k miles? (btw they're already showing wear with about 7k) Anyways i started lookin into the 2.5" Daystar coilover spacer lift. It looks relatively simple and costs only about $160. Right now i'm just wondering about all the pros and cons on the kit and all the things a new guy like me should be looking out for. I dont wanna jeopardize or mess with much on the vehicle and i want it to remain just as drivable and safe. Other than the kit what other things will i need to look into eg. larger shocks, brake line extensions, T-case drop/mods, gas mileage? Another thing is tires. If i decide just to keep the rig stock what are the biggest tires i can fit without any risk of rubbing? And after the 2.5" lift how big of tires will it fit? Just lookin for your input and suggestions/experiences. Any info you have would be great. Thanx.

Last edited:

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I'm 16, I got my KJ in October. I like you wanted to lift it throw some aggressive tires on it and change from the grocery getter look but after all the reading I've done on here, I decided I want a frankenlift which are quite a bit more than a daystar so I'm doing all the little stuff first that way when I get a frankenlift it will be complete! Most my mods are in my signature.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hey guys so I'm 17 and I've got my own 07 kj sport. right now i'm looking to make it just a little bit more aggressive looking without goin for the full-out trail rider look. I just wanna put a few inches on it and some tires that are a little better than those crap goodyears they put on that last what 15k miles? (btw they're already showing wear with about 7k) Anyways i started lookin into the 2.5" Daystar coilover spacer lift. It looks relatively simple and costs only about $160. Right now i'm just wondering about all the pros and cons on the kit and all the things a new guy like me should be looking out for. I dont wanna jeopardize or mess with much on the vehicle and i want it to remain just as drivable and safe. Other than the kit what other things will i need to look into eg. larger shocks, brake line extensions, T-case drop/mods, gas mileage? Another thing is tires. If i decide just to keep the rig stock what are the biggest tires i can fit without any risk of rubbing? And after the 2.5" lift how big of tires will it fit? Just lookin for your input and suggestions/experiences. Any info you have would be great. Thanx.

Just go over to the lift and tire sections of this forum. All the questions you ask here ave been asked it seems a few hundred times everyday since I joined up here in December 2006!
Use the seach feature and start reading!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey I'm 16, and have 2.5" Rusty's off road coil and strut spacer lift installed. Bought it for $177 shipped to my door and had it installed for $200. Drives basically the same to me, maybe a tad bit looser feeling but only noticeable for a couple days until you get used to it. just installed 265/75 R16 (OD: 31.8") maxxis Big Horn M/T's. had to cut out lower portion of front wheel wells to prevent rubbing, and now have to hammer down pinch weld in rear of front wheel well. If your not looking for the modifying of the wheel well i suggest a 245/75. Lots of guys run those and have minimal if any rubbing, plus beware 265/75's; without regearing to 4.10 they'll drop your mpg and slightly shorten the life on your transmission.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The general consensus for lifts are:

Best Budget Lift is Daystar - PN: KJ09115BK which comes with the extended front bumpstops. $160-ish You don't have to replace the front shocks, but your stock shocks are pretty much junk after 30k miles. So keep that in mind. Do you really want to tear down the front shock assemblies again to change them out, or just put new ones in when you do the lift. Ranchos for the front will be about another $150. You need to replace the rear shocks regardless to get a longer shock when you lift. Those shocks will run you $100. So add that all up and you have just over $400 for full budget lift. Pretty much anyone can install it themselves. There is a very detailed how-to on the install at: http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26190

The next step up is the OME spring lift. About $300 for a set of 4 springs. Plus Shocks, Plus Teraflex front bumpstops. Plus Hockey puck rear bumpstops.

Then the top option is the Frankenlift.

It all depend on what you plan to have in the end. If you think you are going to wheel a lot, or if you are going to add a heavy bumper or winch, Save you money and GO OME or Frankie to begin with.

I went with the Daystar lift. I am very happy with it. But I didn't replace the front shocks when I did it. Kinda wish I had, because I really don't want to tear it apart again to replace them, but I guess I don't really have any other option now...

Last edited: