Minor lift for a 2002 Liberty in So Cal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seamonster

Reaction score
Hi. Two questions. I haven't found anywhere in So Cal that would do something like the 2-3" lift for a 2002 Liberty – nothing fancy that would require new control arms, etc. I've not heard back from the place in Big Bear. Two other guys in So Cal I spoke with used to do the lift, but stopped because it's too different from the other Jeeps they usually work on. Dirty Parts would have farmed out the work to one of those two guys. Any thoughts on who might still be up for it? (My Libby has only ~75k miles on it, so still worth doing the job.)

Second, we have a road trip planned in a few weeks – probably too soon to get the lift done before we leave. But the Libby's suspension has gotten pretty spongy and boat-like, so I'm tempted just to go to a standard shop like Midas(?) and get some new struts put on. Any recommendations on what to get that's good for a little off-road, short of doing an actual lift treatment? Something cheap, but not too cheap. ;-) I don't suppose that any struts we'd get now could be integrated into a near-future lift scheme, because they'd have to be extra long for that... so it's basically an either/or proposition, correct?

Thanks for any enlightenment you might offer,
Kraig

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are not changing the springs shocks will just be wasted
plus you have to compress the springs to install front shocks so why not do it all at once
front shocks are not longer when lifted only rear
struts LOL we have coilover shocks up front
struts are used on cars with no upper control arms
the manufactures call them struts since most people don't know any better

mercdudecbr600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s nothing special about installing lift springs on the kJ. The rear is more difficult to install than stock because they’re longer. See pic. Just have a typical suspension or firestone shop install

Attachments

• A7D2C6E8-0066-4553-B301-1B175ADAA997.jpeg
    A7D2C6E8-0066-4553-B301-1B175ADAA997.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 3

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rears are easy , put many 4 inch lift springs in the rear by myself in 15-20 minutes max even drilling holes for the hockey pucks

GBsKJ

Reaction score
I don't believe you mentioned your location, Lee and Son's down in Fullerton does all my heavy work on my Dually. I just picked up a '05 Renegade to play around with. I could probably do the rear myself. I stopped by the shop to ask what it would cost to do all four corners, and an alignment. 800 bucks roughly to install an OME setup, and alignment.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
800 to install a lift and alignment WOW
someone knows how to make the money it seems
I could double my price and still be cheaper LOL