MiniMe - 2005 BLack Liberty Renegade KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theksmith

Reaction score
last year i got my GF to ditch her 2wd TrailBlazer and join the Jeep family with a KJ...

You must be registered for see images attach

i already have a WJ that is our main off-road and expedition rig for our OffroadPassport.com trips, but she never liked driving it as it's too big and hard to see where the corners are. she much preferred my old XJ. she said the Liberty reminds her of the XJ and since she drives it every day she is familiar with it and wants to start taking it offroad and learning more about how to drive trails. so this build will be very mild, and not for any rock crawling. it will be for us to take on easier trips like the Mojave Road, etc.

the day after we got MiniMe we did take it out on a little trail in stock form:

(my WJ build: TheKSmith's 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ Limited 4.7 H.O. - The Do-It-All Rig - Offroad Passport Community Forum)

and then over the past week or so, with tax-return money, i've gotten a budget boost installed and we picked up some new tires...

theksmith

Reaction score
i went with Rusty's even though i should have known better, but i figured it was just spacers - how bad could they screw that up? well i won't re-type my rant about them (here...), but they summary is that they are only the cheapest if your time has no value.

the first weekend, i ran into some issues and only got the front half of the lift installed:

but i finally got it all finished and picked up the tires last friday and took it out for a quick rub-test:

rear wheels tuck up perfect on the factory offset wheels:

the rear coil thickness was actually the limiting factor:

the front grabbed the lower air-dam even when level, and when compressed it rubs the inner splash-shield a bit:

i had already dealth with the pinch-seam when i did the lift install, so i just needed to take care of that air-dam:

the tires are 245/75R16 Goodyear Duratrac's, the rims are the factory Renegade ones. i had read several places that getting better offset on a budget lift just changes where you rub but doesn't fix rubbing. therfore, i decided to try these out before getting new rims. though i'd like the look of a wider stance, these seem fine and my GF likes their look too.

theksmith

Reaction score
i ordered the Teraflex front bump-stops and hopefully they come in this week. i may do some hockey pucks in the rear so that the bump-stops can work instead of over compressing the springs.

i'll post pics and info from the lift install later...

theksmith

Reaction score
oh and before i get flamed for using a budget boost - i'm well aware of the drawbacks and it is what it is. this whole thing is an experiment to see how much my GF even like driving offroad - she may hate it and if so the springs will sag some and it'll still work fine for on-road driving. if she loves it, we'll get a proper full-lift kit later.

theksmith

Reaction score
we put some finishing touches on mini-me to really make it Aimee's...

this skull valve cap is on the spare tire in the back. Aimee used fingernail polish to paint the eyes pink and then i sprayed some clear coat over it :)

theksmith

Reaction score
on a road trip to Albuquerque this past weekend:

theksmith

Reaction score
MiniMe did great on the Offroad Passport Cinders trip this weekend! i still need to add a CB and throw some hockey pucks in the rear before we get on too gnarly of a trail, but he's ready for more 'splorin!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Been watching your build on Expedition Portal
Hows she liking it so far lifted? ready to go for a "real " lift by now with way better ride ??

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice pics and Jeeps.

Dave

theksmith

Reaction score
thanks guys!

tommudd - she likes it fine, though this is the first time we actually got around to taking it offroad since right after lifting it. no plans to upgrade to a "real" lift till these springs sag enough to cause problems. even then it'll probably be a mild lift but with real springs, i'd rather put the money into a rear locker than a really wild lift.

her current priorities:
- front tow hooks
- cb
- all-weather floor mats
- roof basket or completely new rack