Metal flap inside gas filler missing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the metal flap inside my gas tank filler neck is missing. It's missing from my 04' KJ. But my 02' KJ still has the metal flap intact. Did it break off, and fall down into the gas tank? Or did they simply omit this flap from the later year models? Can somebody check? Remove your gas cap, and see if yours has one. And what year is it? Thanks!

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My flap must of broke off, and fell into the gas tank. I don't think it would cause any issues. But I have to be careful, when filling my tank. As if I try to put a few more cents of gas into it, after the pump automatically shuts off. Some gas spills out onto the ground. My 02' is actually a parts car now. As it dropped a valve, and ruined the engine. So I can take take the gas filler neck, with the intact flap, and put it on my 04'. But this looks like a big job. Need to remove the fender flare and wheel housing, to get to the back of it. Hardly seems worth it... Might as well just drop the gas tank as well, to save the fuel pump. I know these are very expensive. I am taking off everything I can, for spare parts for my 04'. Then have whats left, towed away for junk.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 doesn't have it
I don't think it could fall into the gas tank because there's two slots for the little doors tabs to go into so I wouldn't worry too much about it
Mine has the two slots but no door so it may have been just different models getting it

Latest posts

Members online