May 22, trip to Centralia, PA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
(bump)

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the trip list still looks like this:

Trip list:

Bandit1- XJ with Cell, CB, and FRS for commo

Dave- KJ with Cell and FRS for commo

jeh200284- KJ with Cell and FRS for commo

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought a couple of you guys from Pa might be interested in this trip seeing as it is in your state. It should be real interesting.

Dave

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
8 hour drive..
atleast 4 tanks of gas total there and back at atleast $45 each tank..
finding a place to crash atleast the night before..

naw cant justify it on my income..

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
we used to have a cabin along the river in the canyon.. we could see a waterfall from the back porch... there was also a guy in town that had a pet bear at his gas station..
i also remember a place up in the mtns where there was a old 30 something sedan stuck half way down the slope. pop had told me that it was from liquor runners during the prohibition era..

tons of memories just thinking of that part of PA

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeh invited me to come, from DC area too, i am finishing a weekend that looked a bit like this. leave work thurs, go to happy hour, dont drink because you drive to NY as soon as you can leave respectfully, drive 5 hours to NY, sleep, change oil, fix lights, work around parents house, drink, crawl into bed at 430 am, wake up at 8 am, and drive to Vermont(takes 7 hours), nap for 30 minutes, go to wedding, drink, get to hotel at midnight and pass out, wake up at 8, go to brunch then drive back to Long Island, takes 8 hours, go to bed, wake up whenever, drive to Virginia, should take me 6 or so hours depending on where i hit traffic. ...so, this weekend will be almost 30 hours of driving and 1200 miles and i didnt even get to see mickey mouse. needless to say Im not sure if ill have the energy next weekend to drive up to PA with ya'll, but Ill let ya know if i will or not. (also had a hike planned may or may not still do that) would be very cool to meet yas.

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 hour drive..
atleast 4 tanks of gas total there and back at atleast $45 each tank..
finding a place to crash atleast the night before..

naw cant justify it on my income..

i do this on average once every month... leave albany, NY drive to Huntingdon, PA (6hrs) then drive to a friends house either in Glen Campbell, PA (another 2hrs) then back to Albany(7hrs) or Huntingdon, PA to Pittsburgh, PA(3hrs) then back home (8hrs)... you can do it, besides how often you gonna get to visit an abandoned coal mine town? in addition you can visit places you have not been in a while...

Last edited:

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like i said, i live in Pittsburgh, would love to come and visit the Ghost town, but have prior obligations, (Godson's Baptism) i tried to get out of it, but my Godson's mom wouldn't hear of it lol, she just shook her head and batted her eyes then gave me an evil stare

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like i said, i live in Pittsburgh, would love to come and visit the Ghost town, but have prior obligations, (Godson's Baptism) i tried to get out of it, but my Godson's mom wouldn't hear of it lol, she just shook her head and batted her eyes then gave me an evil stare

lol, dont worry about it, I will be going back at least once more after this over the summer... I was born and raised in the pgh area... Deer Lakes School District, Russellton... what part are you from and i will be going to pgh after the trip to some friends house in North Versailles.

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After doing some more research on the Centralia area, I have found out that the Reading Anthracite Company does not own any land in that area. They do however own a bunch of land that they allow access to if you buy a permit from them to do so. I would consider getting a permit IF I lived closer or planned on going down there more than once or twice.

Last edited:

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the trip list still looks like this:

Trip list:

anyone else gonna go?

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trip list:

Andy and Lori- regular car with cell for commo (they will ditch the car and ride in Bandit1's jeep when we get to centralia)

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the weather and it will be in the mid to upper 70's for Sat with a chance for "isolated" T-storms.

As mentioned before, I will be leaving my house about 0630 and stopping at the first fuel plaza on Rt 87S past exit 23. I will wait there for about 30min before getting back on the road. After that there will be one stop for fuel in Scranton area in PA, then I will stop again for another 30 min once I get to exit 119 on Rt 81. I am planning on being at the fuel plaza by about 0700 and exit 119 by about 1200. The exact route I am taking is 87S to 84W to 81S then the back roads to Centralia.

If you have not already said you going, just show up at the times and places mentioned. I will have FRS and CB both set to channel 16 for commo. Give a shout out on either. If I am on the road, I will be flipping between CB channels 19 and 16. I look forward to seeing everyone there.

I do realize that there may be some that are concerned about being legal and all, I have looked into it and other than the few residents that still live there, there is no land that I could find that was privately owned. So unless there are posted signs or the like found there should be a good time wheeling for all. In addition I do plan on getting out and looking at the closed section of the original Rt 61, this would be on foot of course.

Now as far as I know, the trip list look like this...

Trip list:

Andy and Lori- regular car with cell for commo (they will ditch the car and ride in Bandit1's jeep when we get to centralia)

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a gas station in Ashland, PA that I will stop at to wait instead of down near exit 119 on 81. the address I could find for the gas station is

300 Centre St,
Ashland, PA 17921

I will be there shortly after 1200 and will wait 30 min unless you chime in on the FRS or CB to let us know you are coming. in addition, if you are going and have not said so here yet, PM either me or dave and we will give you our cell number if you dont have any other form of commo.

I will check back to see if there are anymore posts or pms friday nite, after that, just show up.

Last edited:

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, this will be my last post here about this trip. after this, just show up at the designated places and times or catch us on the road. I have to change the FRS channel because of the 3 radios i have one of them only goes to channel 14. so to make sure we are all on the same page, here is the trip info.

I will be leaving Rensselaer about 0630.

I am planning on getting to the New Baltimore service plaza on I87S by 0700
from there I will wait about 30 min for anyone else to show up then it is back on the road.

I will be getting off of 87 at the exit for I84W towards Scranton
From there, I should be in the Scranton area by about 0930 and following for I81S

I will be following 81S to exit 119 and hooking up with Rt 61 to Centralia

There is a gas station in Ashland, PA right were 61 makes a 90* left. I believe the address is 300 Centre St, Ashland, PA 17921. At that gas station, I will wait another 30 min then off to centralia.

While on the road, I will be monitoring CB channels 16 and 19. While I am stopped and waiting, I will monitor CB channel 16 and channel 14 on the FRS Radio. My handle is Bandit, give a shout if you are close to see if we are still sitting or not. I am hoping to be in Ashland shortly after 1200 and in Centralia by 1300.

I look forward to seeing whoever shows.

Bandit1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have fun, be safe!

wish you could have gone, but there is always next time... I will start a new thread with pics from our trail ride we did and post the link here... also, i will provide the link to a couple other sites were there may be different pics up... we were safe as you can see I made it back, and so did everyone else that had gone

KJJosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a couple pictures to keep the masses happy..

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Members online

No members online now.