Manufacturing a KK Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The KK was manufactured at the Toledo North Assembly Plant.
Here is an insight as to how the KK was made.
Yes a huge Plant & Robot City !!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love those Robots!
I worked in the Mainframe Computer Industry...IBM then Hitachi Computers and peripherals.
At one stage we sold an automated computer tape-loader Robot that loaded computer tapes in place of operators.

The first Robot I worked on was an old-style Westinghouse...very slow and inaccurate as it used standard gears with potentiometers to measure where the joints were.

We looked into replacing them with something more modern and I was sent to look at the ABB Robots much like those in the video to replace the old stuff.

Those new Robots are amazing!. Extremely fast and accurate to maybe 2 mm at full stretch!

Ended up our German suppliers had come to the same conclusion and had already procured GMF Fanuc Robots to replace the old Westinghouse. Fanuc made the robots that General Motors used so GM decided to buy into Fanuc! Probably 80% of the worlds robots are made in Japan.

I was in my seventh heaven working on the Robots and became the Expert on them...making some changes to them and re-programming them when needed much to the chagrin of our German Overlords!;)

Last edited:

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KK was manufactured at the Toledo North Assembly Plant.
Here is an insight as to how the KK was made.
Yes a huge Plant & Robot City !!
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow that red Libby looks like mine!

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love those Robots!
I worked in the Mainframe Computer Industry...IBM then Hitachi Computers and peripherals.
At one stage we sold an automated computer tape-loader Robot that loaded computer tapes in place of operators.

The first Robot I worked on was an old-style Westinghouse...very slow and inaccurate as it used standard gears with potentiometers to measure where the joints were.

We looked into replacing them with something more modern and I was sent to look at the ABB Robots much like those in the video to replace the old stuff.

Those new Robots are amazing!. Extremely fast and accurate to maybe 2 mm at full stretch!

Ended up our German suppliers had come to the same conclusion and had already procured GMF Fanuc Robots to replace the old Westinghouse. Fanuc made the robots that General Motors used so GM decided to buy into Fanuc! Probably 80% of the worlds robots are made in Japan.

I was in my seventh heaven working on the Robots and became the Expert on them...making some changes to them and re-programming them when needed much to the chagrin of our German Overlords!;)

I worked with an ABB robot for 10 years when I was still on the glass cutting line at work. We had ABB do a fluids change on them and about a week after the brakes weren't holding when the motors went off when the cell was opened. ABB denied that it had anything to do with the oil change. It finally got pulled out last week after 15 years of use
The company that installed it put a video on youtube

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange...ABB normally has an excellent reputation for quality!

The GM Fanuc range I worked on is being used here in SA to manufacture GM vehicles in the GM plant on the West coast.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that axis 2 motor was the only issue we had with it. We did have to replace it twice, the first time ABB told us it would be at least six weeks before we could get a replacement, so we bought one from China on ebay and had it in a couple weeks. That one lasted about 5 years before it needed replaced. The one from China was a bargain compared to ABB exchange price but still had to pay ABB to install it as we didn't have the setup to zero that axis after replacing the motor and then we had to have them change the zero as it was off some from the original position. The first test we did was a tool change and it dropped the one tool a bit more than normal in the tool rack

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Toured the plant while the KKs were being built and right about the time JKs were being introduced
great time that day

Latest posts

Members online