manual gear shifter problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdwebb36

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can rebuild the shifter tower on a 5 speed manual transmission. I just purchased a 2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7L manual transmission and the gear shifter is worn out. I'm hoping that I can rebuild the shifter tower and not have to buy a new one. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can rebuild the shifter tower on a 5 speed manual transmission. I just purchased a 2002 jeep liberty sport 3.7L manual transmission and the gear shifter is worn out. I'm hoping that I can rebuild the shifter tower and not have to buy a new one. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NV3550 Transmission? I have heard the shift tower is non serviceable but you should confirm that lol, If it is just the tower that is worn and you cannot fix it I would recommend picking up a new short shift tower, Quadratec carries them, Sorry I couldn't be more specific to your question.

jdwebb36

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I wasn't real clear on describing the issue. I stopped by the dealership yesterday and they only list the tower as a single unit, no replaceable parts. I'm not familiar with the new shifters that have the linkage inside the transmission housing. I'm hoping that the shifter tower is the only issue I have... it is just really loose feeling from side to side. Like the spring resistance feeling you have when you shift over to 5th and reverse. I hope it's not a problem inside the transmission. I will post up my findings when the problem is diagnosed and repaired or replaced. Thanks.

Jhumber

Reaction score
I have a similar problem, My shifter is also very loose, it makes shifting from gear to gear a plain in the ass, as its hard to find the next gear cause its so sloppy. But also when the jeep is cold, it is brutal to shift, I have to pull so hard it feels like I am tearing something. Once its warmed up though its as easy as any manual transmission I have ever drove. Is yours anything like that, or just really sloppy?

- Josh

joeard

Reaction score
Any fix yet?

I know this post is old, but I am also having this same issue. Any info would be great!