Manik Grille guard on a 06?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a Manik Grille Guard and a set of taillight covers on craigslist (i know the grille guard is bad because it takes away towpoint, but i don't plan to go offroading with it anytime soon, and i do plan on trying to fit in some towhooks in the future) but hey they were only $90.
Question is its listed as 02-04, i have an 06 what is the difference between the mounting that it wouldn't be listed to fit 02-07? I know the bumpers are different but the mounting looks the same as my sisters 03?
So do i just need to trim the bumper a little to fit, or possibly cut off the lower sections like some others on here did (which i thinks looks really good!)
Sorry for this being so long and thanks! :D

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also here a picture so you know which one im talking about, and also all the mounting hardware came with it.
You must be registered for see images attach

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet deal for that price!

I can help with the question somewhat as i have that same style guard on my 03' and my neighbor has an 05' with the different style bumper.

From what i can tell the tow hook mounting locations that the bumper/grill guard bolts to are in the same relative position, the only thing that would have to be done is a very slight trimming of the bumper cover to allow it to go through the opening, the opening isn't as tall as on my 03'.

Just realized looking at the pictures i took the other day that i forgot to tuck that wiring for the lights on the grille guard back up to hide it after it got knocked loose at the car wash... A quick project for tomorrow.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went outside cause i heard my neighbor get home, caught him and we looked at it. If you cut out the U-Shaped recess in the bumper cover where the hooks would go, you didn't say if you have hooks or not, then it would bolt right up no problem from what we can see.

His doesn't have the tow hooks so there is those little cutouts in the bumper, just trim those out to make room for the guard.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went outside cause i heard my neighbor get home, caught him and we looked at it. If you cut out the U-Shaped recess in the bumper cover where the hooks would go, you didn't say if you have hooks or not, then it would bolt right up no problem from what we can see.

His doesn't have the tow hooks so there is those little cutouts in the bumper, just trim those out to make room for the guard.

I do not have tow hooks, and that what it looked like, the little recesses u-shaped needed to be cut out, im going to install it tomorrow on my day off!

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of there install on where it mounts??? i have brackets that i thought went into two of the factory tow hook holes but they aren't even close to lining up?!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh one note, if you have the Manik version you might have a single plate with two bolts in it, it goes in the same place as the Westin instructions but you put it up so one bolt is the single hole and the other bolt comes down through the large hole you push the plate up into. Does that make sense?

The pictures on that .pdf file should help out.

If i could find my original instructions sheet i thought i saved i could scan it for you, that probably shows the bolt plate type that you have better.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! i realized that the plate that drops in was a little to big, so i cut off about an 1/8" and it ending up fitting in the holes and all is well. and it looks great!

So for anyone who wants a grille guard on a 05-07 it will work, may have the same problem with the plate being a bit to big, may not but its an easy fix :D

Also here is how it looks:
You must be registered for see images attach

Oh one note, if you have the Manik version you might have a single plate with two bolts in it, it goes in the same place as the Westin instructions but you put it up so one bolt is the single hole and the other bolt comes down through the large hole you push the plate up into. Does that make sense?

The pictures on that .pdf file should help out.

If i could find my original instructions sheet i thought i saved i could scan it for you, that probably shows the bolt plate type that you have better.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome nice job!!

Yeah i had that same problem with the bolt plate, it was a TIGHT fit up in there, so i took my angle grinder and knocked off the corners and edges a bit to make it easier, i still ended up putting the mounting bracket on the bolts and tightening the nuts to slowly draw the bolt plate down into place, its a press fit in there! So it would seem its not always perfect due to manufacturing tolerances, but stuff like that has never stopped me before!!

Did you get the little upper support bracket to that goes to the upper radiator support? On mine i had rivets that hold the hood latch to that upper rad support, so i ground the head off of the drivers side rivet and put a bolt with nylock nut through the hole, don't have to worry about that ever coming loose. Makes the guard feel more sturdy.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what i was talking about. Also notice i had to clearance the upper corner of the hood latch arm. I closed the hood and couldn't get it open! Had to shake the hood back and forth, side to side, to get it to release then i noticed the problem and took about an 1/8" off the top corner of the hood latch. I took this picture back before i got some black paint and touched it up to prevent rust.

Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what i was talking about. Also notice i had to clearance the upper corner of the hood latch arm. I closed the hood and couldn't get it open! Had to shake the hood back and forth, side to side, to get it to release then i noticed the problem and took about an 1/8" off the top corner of the hood latch. I took this picture back before i got some black paint and touched it up to prevent rust.

Mine did not come with that, but i did wonder about that, i may try to just bend up some 1/8" by 1" steel to match that and give it some more support!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, so you have the threaded insert for it on the back of the bar? The other guy probably lost it or never used it, etc... Would be easy to fab up a piece, no problem there. I wasn't going to add that at first then i noticed how much it shaked going down a rough road, after adding that brace it doesn't move.

The only bad part will be finding a bolt to go into the threaded insert, i believe they are metric, i was going to put the little headlight guards back in mine but i lost the bolts and couldn't find some the right thread, and then the open look grew on me so i just left it that way.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh ok, so you have the threaded insert for it on the back of the bar? The other guy probably lost it or never used it, etc... Would be easy to fab up a piece, no problem there. I wasn't going to add that at first then i noticed how much it shaked going down a rough road, after adding that brace it doesn't move.

The only bad part will be finding a bolt to go into the threaded insert, i believe they are metric, i was going to put the little headlight guards back in mine but i lost the bolts and couldn't find some the right thread, and then the open look grew on me so i just left it that way.

I actually looked and there is no hole in the upper bar.. so i may need to find another way to get it to fit.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, well maybe your version didn't come with that support strut. Would be easy to add though if you wanted, could just drill a hole in the back of the bar, its in the lower upper bar, not the top one, and just use a self tapping bolt.

That is if yours moves much and needs it, like i said mine would shake and vibrate on a rough road without it.

jgliberty06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Was there any metal cutting involved or just the plastic of the bumper for the plate?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Members online