LRR tires such as Mich Latitude Tour or General Grabber HTS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retmil46

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only for a little while,then carbon builtup sets in and you will get worse mpg's.Gotta "Clean the cobwebs out" at least once a week for at least 30-60mins to keep carbon buildup to a min.

Agreed. It's called an "Italian tuneup". Give it a good workout, get everything good and hot, blow out the carbon and cook all the moisture and condensation out of the oil, gets all the seals properly lubricated. Driving like grandpa all the time is almost as bad as excessive idling. Or driving like grandpa and in between letting it sit idle for days at a time.

Not just talking about the throttle body - carbon buildup on the valves, piston rings, etc.

Even more true with a diesel. Diesels need to be worked hard to run properly. Especially when relatively new, to properly break everything in and get everything seated, particularly the piston rings. My friend in Austin once had a new 04 Dodge Cummins. One of the first things he did was hook up his 20 ft toyhauler trailer to it and go for a cruise at 70 mph along I-70 towards Salt Lake City up those mountain grades, to give it a good workout. It did the trick. Couple years later, he showed me the dipstick when stopping for fuel. It had been 5000 miles since he'd changed the oil - and it still looked like new oil, no traces of soot.

My first 87 MB 300D diesel sedan, I picked up in 06. It was 18 years old and only had 130K miles on it - older gent had driven it like grandpa all the time. First time I stomped on it WOT to give it an "Italian tuneup", that 3 liter inline six pumped a cloud of soot and smoke out the back end, that would have made a heavily modded Cummins at a sled pulling competition proud - 18 years of built-up crud. Couple years of giving it a good workout every day and getting everything adjusted properly, you could stomp on it from a standing start and it'd go like a scalded cat, and put out less smoke than my 05 CRD with it's modern emissions controls.

VeitzJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much work is it to clean out all the valves, piston rings, and such? I've never done any engine work before. Who do you use to clean them? I have an '06 with 90k miles on it and could probably use a good cleaning (only been using regular oil too, switching to synthetic on the next oil change).