Low RPM when Idling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
Recently in my 02 Liberty Limited with 67,000 miles, I have noticed that when I stop at a light or a sign, my RPM's dip down to around 500, then back up to maybe 6 or 700. Today, I was pulling into a parking spot at work, I put it in reverse to correct the position of the Jeep and it stalled. Is this simply I need new plugs? Any help on this topic would be of great help. Thanks.

Gopherbeats

Reaction score
When is the last time you changed your plugs? If it is more than 30k I would definatly change the plugs.

Other things to try: Get a can of fuel injector cleaner, I use Chervron with Techron.. Good stuff! Will cost you about $7.50 for a can that treats 20 gal.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
Bought the Jeep w/ 65,000 miles. I will buy the fuel injector stuff tonight, and change the plugs asap. Thanks.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
Changing plugs - is it safe to do by me? not a mechanic, even though I have to remove the ignitors?

2003KJ

Reaction score
I would definately change the plugs if they havent been done.

On another note, I had a very similar issue with mine. Mine would stall out every now and then when shifting especially from say reverse to drive, and it didn't matter if i stopped completely and then switched gears, or if i kept it crawling while i changed gears. I brought it to the dealer for an oil change and told them about it, and they located a TSB for a "shift related stumble". They reset the PCM, did a road test, and it hasn't done it again since. You might want to look into that.

Do a search for "stalling" on here and you'll probably find my post that I made on it. My KJ only has 33K on it right now and had probably in the lower 20's at the time.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
I spoke with my service advisor about this issue. He said the same thing happened to his KJ, and he had the alternator replaced and that seemed to fix the issue. I am taking it in tomorrow, I forgot I am still under warranty from the dealer.

TimnDonna

Reaction score
Update:

Took the KJ to the dealer. Had this issue fixed under dealer warranty.

They did 3 things;

1. Change spark plugs
2. Clean "very dirty" throttle body
3. Replace gasket (not sure which one) between ****** and transfer case - due to a leak.

KJ runs great now! (after 7 hours at the dealership).

Latest posts

Members online