Low Fuel Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much fuel is left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on...??? I have a 2005 4 ******..
Laterz
Ken

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You do not want to drive when you are low on fuel as it can over heat the electronic fuel pump.
If you have a 20 gallon tank, it is about 2 gallons left if I remember correctly.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ken, when the low fuel light is on, there's enough left to get you to a gas station. Like Tim said, fuel is used to cool the fuel pump, less fuel = less ability to disperse heat = premature pump wear and possible failure. Think gas is expensive? Try a fuel pump replacement!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The manual says 2.3 gallons. It's *almost* right but I have observed that the number is closer to 3ish. So it's pretty accurate.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on that....when my low fuel light comes on, i know i have at least 5 gallons left. heck, i can be on E and still have 3 gallons!! i'm pretty sure my sending unit is off, but since it's integrated into the pump assembly, i'll just deal with it ($600 to replace the whole thing.)

only way to know, is to fill up your tank right when the light comes on. check your manual for your capacities (i believe the fuel tank is 19.5 gallons, but i could be wrong.) subtract what you put in from what you can carry, and there is how much was in the tank when you filled it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Evidently all Libertys are different but mine has around 4 gallons left when the light comes on. Ive pegged it on E before for 30miles and it took 17 gallons. Got a 19.5 gal tank.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Libby will run forever long after the "Low Fuel" indicator comes on but that's because the fuel sender isn't accurate.

On my Patriot when the "Low Fuel" indicator comes on I have maybe 50 feet before it runs out LOL, seriously.

I do believe the fact that the fuel pump needs fuel to cool it, never run for long on empty.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all the US gasser versions had 18.5 gallon tanks... :shrug:
'02's and I believe '03's have the 18.5,'04's and '05's(I believe) come with 19.5,and newer KJ's have the 20.5 tank.

I couldn't tell you how much gas is left when my low fuel light comes on,never seen it turn on as I never let my tank get below 1/2 tank only on long trips and rarely get's below 3/4 of a tank normaly.

That way I always have gas and never see that $60+ fill ups.Granted I fill up more often but always have gas in the tank.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
'02, and '03 have 18.5 Gallon Tanks.
'04 has a 19.5 Gallon Tank
'05-'07 Has a 20.5 gallon Tank.
ALL KKs have a 19.5 gallon tank... so far.

Either way it goes, in my KK and the sister's KJ, when that light comes on and I immediately fill up (I've done this on purpose MORE than a few times), I can only put 3-4 gallons in there LESS than stated capacity.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 KJ CRD has a 20.5 gallon tank just like the gassers do....I beleive it is the same exact tank with out the fuel pump built in the crd's use the bosch CP3 pump to pull from the tank. My low fuel light comes on when I the evic says I have about 32 miles to empty and the gauge has been on empty a while. The most fuel I have ever put in was 19 gallons after running with the light and stupid low fuel ding for more then 20 miles so I would say mine is off by some too. I would bet there is 2.5 or maybe even 3 gallons left when it comes on for me. I dont like to run low very often with the crd. I have fears of the filter getting clogged from the junk it may pull with the last fuel and then there is bleeding air from the lines so it will start again if I run out.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My 2006 KJ CRD has a 20.5 gallon tank just like the gassers do....I beleive it is the same exact tank with out the fuel pump built in the crd's use the bosch CP3 pump to pull from the tank. My low fuel light comes on when I the evic says I have about 32 miles to empty and the gauge has been on empty a while. The most fuel I have ever put in was 19 gallons after running with the light and stupid low fuel ding for more then 20 miles so I would say mine is off by some too. I would bet there is 2.5 or maybe even 3 gallons left when it comes on for me. I dont like to run low very often with the crd. I have fears of the filter getting clogged from the junk it may pull with the last fuel and then there is bleeding air from the lines so it will start again if I run out.

When I had my CRD, I ran below 1/4 tank once to the fuel light and almost had a heart attack. I filled up the tank the whole way and never did that again.....

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My owners manual (or was it the repair manual?) (05 V6) says the light comes on at 15% which would be 3 gallons.
Based on how much gas I get at the pump, the light is accurate.

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my CRD, I ran below 1/4 tank once to the fuel light and almost had a heart attack. I filled up the tank the whole way and never did that again.....

Yeah I was worried about running dry but it didnt happen. I try not to run low like that often. a few times I would forget i needed to fill up untill the light and dinging bs started and once on the turnpike the first reststop had no auto diesel handle that fit only the big boy truck ones.... so I went on to the next.

I try to look for the best place/price when I get under 1/4 tank now.

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never had it come on so I wouldnt be able to tell you. My 2005 has a 20.5 gallon tank, and when i get to about 3 notches above empty still nothing, so I would assume it comes on at two notches above E. That should be about 3 gallons.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of diesel, yesterday i filled up with reg at 1.12 liter, but diesel wait for it was 129.9 liter. Holy cow what is going on, Diesel is just garbage fuel, its the bottom of the barrel with little refining. I know if I was driving a shaker, I would be crying my eyes out.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
speaking of diesel, yesterday i filled up with reg at 1.12 liter, but diesel wait for it was 129.9 liter. Holy cow what is going on, Diesel is just garbage fuel, its the bottom of the barrel with little refining. I know if I was driving a shaker, I would be crying my eyes out.

Diesel Fuel is not bottom of the barrel fuel. It’s only a mid level hydrocarbon when it is distilled. If you want to think of bottom of the barrel think of asphalt and lubricants. I would rather own a vehicle running on diesel fuel than gasoline. Also in the past few decades’ diesel fuel has become cleaner and cleaner as the EPA has came out with new regulations.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You missed my point, i was not refering to diesel as garbage but rather it does not require the amount of refining that gasoline does. Diesels can run on non refined fuel, but gasoline cannot, therefore there is no reason for diesel prices to be as high as they are. As for Diesel vs Gasoline, that is another argument for another day as it only comes down to preference.

Latest posts

Members online