Loud rattle around windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNYcoog

Reaction score
Only above 65-70 mph - and only when below 40 degrees outside - sounds like large raindrops hitting the windshield. Any chance that wind is blowing around loose wires at bottom of windshield and/or in channels on either side of the windshield? Drove me nuts entire trip on recent drives between NY and FL!

lightfoot44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rattle around windshield

I have a light rattle/grinding sound coming from the same area in my 2003 Sport. It happens when the vehicle is cold, and is most noticeable at very low speeds. Kind of drives me nuts unless i cover it with music. ](*,)

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new '05 is doing this since the weather got cold also. Top of the windshield..near the middle I think. Must be something to do with the seal contracting in the cold weather...

woodchucker

Reaction score
(deadhorse) ?? Ours is a 2005 Limited CRD, Dark khaki...We got the Liberty in May, Got the rattle in June, all the way on a trip from Baltimore to Detroit and back. It's consistently happening at 65 and above, really predominant in crosswinds. To me it sounds like a bundle of wires, like in a harness, bouncing around in the wind. I asked the service Manager to look into it at my 6,250 Mi. service and he swore he couldn't hear anything when he took it out on a road test.. The CRD has 9,250 miles on it now, and I think we're going to have to baby-sit the service rep and take him out for a ride. I wonder how long this thread is going to grow?

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive.gif

Me too! Drives me nuts. Have noticed it since about September. Bought my Libby in April.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I know what your problem is! My guess is the trim moulding running along the top of the windshield is coming out, and at speed, the airflow is making it vibrate.

When I got my KJ there was no moulding. I thought that was odd, because it looked unfinished, & dirt collected there. But my Jeep experience has tought me to expect things like this, so I thought nothing more about it.

We had the windshield replaced a couple of months ago. I didn't think about it until a couple weeks ago when I was driving & the noise started. I pulled over, & the moulding had come out in the middle, & was slapping the car! I snapped it back in, & a week later, it did it again.

My thought is that the original had done the same thing, & the previous owner just got tired of dealing with it, & pulled it completely off.

reb

Reaction score
The dealer resealed my windshield and the hail storm went away for now.
05 Renegade

Bob

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cold is back, so is rattle.
I got the windshield rattle at just where it meets the blower, right at the center, but the rattle is definitely coming from inside. It happens anytime I go over some bump or uneven surface, it just simply rattles.. I hear the same rattle when I whack a smack at the same area when car is not in motion, so I know there's gotta be something that gets tighten or loose whenever the temperature goes down..

One day I am going to yank that panel to see what makes a nest there and rattles like that!! ](*,)

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol. 1 year later.

Possibly a loose screw or clip. I have seen numerous door panels being installed with clips broken and loose, or wire harnesses rubbing against plastic/metal areas. There is a test for each vehicle for interior sound proofing, but I don't think its a speed/wind related test.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Possibly a loose screw or clip.

but why does it happen only in the cold? because whatever holds it in place shrinks so this thing rattles?

i want to open up the grill but it is too much of a work.. remove handles, side panels, just to see what the heck rattles there.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be something rubbing against the bottom part of the glass? Then you could possibly fix the issue by running a putty knife or something in the crack between the windshield and dash?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AHHHHH!

Mine started doing this the other day! Sometimes I like to drive with the radio off and just listen to the wind and... think.... But it started doing that and it drove me crazy!.. I hit the top of the dash really hard and it stopped. \:D/

ohh, Ive never seen a piece of trim above the windshield on any libby.. O:)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
I hit the top of the dash really hard and it stopped. \:D/

I have been beating there senseless... i think it is making it worse..
i have to open up

rebelram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I know why my 06 doesn't have the trim piece above the windshield. I thought it looked odd and was missing something. Oh well, sounds like I didn't need that piece of trim anyways!

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse) (deadhorse)

Mine does not have the trim and it has done it from day one. Oh well, I just live with it. Kinda like it now, like white noise ya know?

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
I think I know what your problem is! My guess is the trim moulding running along the top of the windshield is coming out, and at speed, the airflow is making it vibrate.

When I got my KJ there was no moulding. I thought that was odd, because it looked unfinished, & dirt collected there. But my Jeep experience has tought me to expect things like this, so I thought nothing more about it.

We had the windshield replaced a couple of months ago. I didn't think about it until a couple weeks ago when I was driving & the noise started. I pulled over, & the moulding had come out in the middle, & was slapping the car! I snapped it back in, & a week later, it did it again.

My thought is that the original had done the same thing, & the previous owner just got tired of dealing with it, & pulled it completely off.

This is exactly what I did with mine. The molding kept coming out at highway speeds over the top of the new windshield. A little bit more each time. I got tired of pulling over and stuffing it back in so I finally just pulled it all out. I plan on resealing it back in after winter is over. Or I might just replace the windshield because it looks like someone took an *** to it. Lots of rock chips.