Lots of steering feedback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got my lift got my Man tires. I've been aligned twice now, the second time after I did a 3 ring clevis. I got the MTs after the second alignment. When I hit normal sized pot holes and cracks in the road I get lots of steering wheel movement/feedback. I accidentally hit a nice sized one yesterday and it pretty much ripped the wheel out of my hand. Is it just because of the type of tires (BFG KM MTs)? It doesn't really seem uncontrollable or anything, just a little annoying.
Honestly I think the front is sitting TOO high at 22.5 and it is just too much for stability. Could I be right or maybe I need to get aligned again? They had a heck of a time getting the wheel straight last time for some reason. They took it out for a drive 3 times before getting it right. Everything is in spec though. I may end up taking out the clevis lift, or half of it anyway. On a smooth road it drives very very very good. Thanks for the help in advance!

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had sfa you would have death wobble
It is an alignment issue
Your steering linkage is probably at a very
Steep angle as well which is compounding the
problem
New UCA's should help ,if you don't have them

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an alignment issue
problem

That's what I was thinking when i hit the bump (death wobble). Ok well, I'm gonna set the front back down to around normal, maybe 1 ring clevis and take it in for an alignment again. I'm not touching it again after that. They're gonna love me! I think the caster is probably off and that is what's causing it mostly. The front is just too high. If it were a grocery cart one or both of the front wheels would be wobbling back and forth real fast so to speak. (banghead)

Thanks for the help.

Dave08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post lift mine has always had much more feedback. Alignment has been dead on, but if you jump in a stocker it's clear that you feel much more disconnected. I blame Tie Rod angle to the rack

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post lift mine has always had much more feedback. Alignment has been dead on, but if you jump in a stocker it's clear that you feel much more disconnected. I blame Tie Rod angle to the rack

Aka, bump-steer.

There's not much you're going to do about it.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aka, bump-steer.

There's not much you're going to do about it.

I'm pretty sure its the clevis lift. Before that, it drove great, no bump steer. I might even be able to fix it by putting in extra rear isos, but I'm going to play it safe and take out the clevis lift. My CVs will thank me as well as a lot of other stuff will too I'm sure. The boss will be happy too (she's 5' nothing). :D

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is an alignment issue
problem

Yep. The alignment issues, steering feedback, and dealer notations of "catastrophic control arm angle" were the reasons my KJ is no longer lifted.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took out the clevis lift last night and its way better. I would say 80% of the bump steer is gone. I get it aligned today at 2:00. I'll bet that it rides perfectly then.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
the guys that align mine have a hell of a time getting the toe correct too.

takes them several tries to get it right..

they say it kind of "drifts" into alignment after awhile..

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it aligned yesterday and it drives much better. Still a tiny bit of bump steer but hardly noticeable.
If the front of your kj is an inch higher than the rear in front I would bet that the alignment is off or just not exactly right. Also if you get mts and they seem REALLY loud then your alignment is probably bad. I say that because now with the front at about the same height as the rear my bfg kms are half as loud and a lot smoother.