Lost my only key...how screwed am I?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cwatson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Circumstances of how it was lost are irrelevant at this point. There's still a chance it will be found, but I'm not banking on it. Can anyone give an educated estimate of the damages to my bank account for such a foolish act?

It's only been a few hours, but I'm kicking myself hard right now. Luckily my Jeep is safe and locked in my driveway, but I won't be getting into it and it obviously won't be moving until this is resolved. (banghead)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With the Vin Number & proof of ownership,the dealer should be able to program up a new key. Call Dealer In The AM for quote and info!
Is your key with the built in FOB (door unlocker remote) or is FOb on separate Tag?
I hope you can find your key, did you lock or loose it inside jeep? ( I done that before)
I have a cheap separate blank $5 key made that allows me to get into drivers door, but is not Sentry, wont start Jeep (for long) I keep it in my wallet.
After your $5 emergency key is cut, make sure you check to make sure it works! (ask me how I Know)
Prices Vary for doing the new key thing from $70 to $200 depending on FOB and re-programming situation.
Really you should get two Sentry made, and one cheapo spare in wallet like me.
39274[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Best Of Luck!... I hope U find KEY!

Attachments

• JeepKeys2.jpg
    JeepKeys2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was quoted 150 for just my key and then another 100 for programming! What a ripoff

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
It doesn't take $100 which is around an hour worth of labor to program a key. My dealership programs keys in "Xpress Lube". Usually done within a matter of minutes.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I was quoted 150 for just my key and then another 100 for programming! What a ripoff

Hmm,$250 and able to use my Jeep? verse nada and have a nice driveway ornament. Not much thought required on this one.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yeah but when some keys require a $10,000 scanner to be used they have to pay for it somehow.

Once again, it doesn't take an hour worth of labor to program a key. Charging someone $100 to program a key is not only unethical, and unfair, it's a downright big fat lie.

There is absolutely NO WAY around this. Period.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Once again, it doesn't take an hour worth of labor to program a key. Charging someone $100 to program a key is not only unethical, and unfair, it's a downright big fat lie.

There is absolutely NO WAY around this. Period.

Well yes it is not fair
why should the dealer have to pay for special equipment to program a key for some one who lost 2 of them?
I dont see this as the dealers problem they are providing a service
They are charging what they need to make up their expense
If you dont want to pay the $100 you can go else where

cwatson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the new key today. $151 for the transmitter/key cutting + 24.95 for programming...and $75 to get towed to the dealership. Total with taxes came out to $268.52. A little less than I was expecting. They offered me a non-transmitter key for $104, but the alarm would go off every time I unlocked the door until I turned the ignition...not really worth the aggravation.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont understand the whole reprogramming thing. i had 2 spares made at ace hardware for a dollar each. they unlock the doors and they both crank the engine.

randrson

Reaction score
if you have "normal" keys, then you don't have the sentry key feature installed with the sentry key, you have a transmitter embedded in the key, and a receiver that goes around the ignition tumbler in the steering column.
the keys need to be programmed to the sentry module to allow the vehicle to start and remain running. without one, it only runs the engine for about 2 seconds, then kills it. so no sentry key, no driving anywhere.

These are the gray rubber coated keys, or the newer keys that have the fob embedded into the end of the key.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have "normal" keys, then you don't have the sentry key feature installed with the sentry key, you have a transmitter embedded in the key, and a receiver that goes around the ignition tumbler in the steering column.
the keys need to be programmed to the sentry module to allow the vehicle to start and remain running. without one, it only runs the engine for about 2 seconds, then kills it. so no sentry key, no driving anywhere.

These are the gray rubber coated keys, or the newer keys that have the fob embedded into the end of the key.
Yeah that and.................

You must have one key that is already programed to program more keys yourself,called a "master key".If you loose all sentry keys the dealership must program and new "master key".

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it was that easy & cheap to re-program a new key, it would be a lot easier to steal vehicles, I assume. Or just buy a ford and use the keypad on the door.

Chris_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes it is not fair
why should the dealer have to pay for special equipment to program a key for some one who lost 2 of them?
I dont see this as the dealers problem they are providing a service
They are charging what they need to make up their expense
If you dont want to pay the $100 you can go else where

the dealer should have to have special equipment to back their products. 250 bucks for a new key is a little ridiculous. and assuming that a person lost not one but two keys isn't very fair, i bought my 09 and only received 1 key. so in the unlikely event that i ever lose it, im conned into paying 250 or more for a new one. not to mention if the keys are stolen for some odd reason, there should be no "monetary punishment" for this sort of problem. i would understand a 50 dollar charge per key, but im almost positive a dealership charges so much because they know you have no other choice but to pay, not because they have to make up cost for some machine

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dealer should have to have special equipment to back their products. 250 bucks for a new key is a little ridiculous. and assuming that a person lost not one but two keys isn't very fair, i bought my 09 and only received 1 key. so in the unlikely event that i ever lose it, im conned into paying 250 or more for a new one. not to mention if the keys are stolen for some odd reason, there should be no "monetary punishment" for this sort of problem. i would understand a 50 dollar charge per key, but im almost positive a dealership charges so much because they know you have no other choice but to pay, not because they have to make up cost for some machine
Don't loose your key then.

Latest posts

Members online