Looking for a cheaper synthetic regimen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5W-30 Syntec...gotcha. Pennzoil Platinum and M1 are also excellent choices. Which oil filter did ya go with?

Sorry, yeah, I stuck to the Jeep mfd weight. Some of you guys in super-cold or super-hot climates are gonna go outside of the recommended regimen.

I went with the NAPA Gold filter. Not really because I had read anything on it, I just looked at the box and thought (yes, admittedly according to the hype on the front) that it seemed like a good choice. It has the bypass valve in it which I thought was sexy. You know, in case the incredibly rare 'filter collapse' issue ever reared its head. Since switching out this weekend I've read some reviews which say it's a pretty good filter.

Honestly, it's one of those things where the price difference between the cheap-o bottom of the line and the high end is so minimal, you might as well go high end. Normally about a $8 filter-- it was on sale for $4.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, yeah, I stuck to the Jeep mfd weight. Some of you guys in super-cold or super-hot climates are gonna go outside of the recommended regimen.

I went with the NAPA Gold filter. Not really because I had read anything on it, I just looked at the box and thought (yes, admittedly according to the hype on the front) that it seemed like a good choice. It has the bypass valve in it which I thought was sexy. You know, in case the incredibly rare 'filter collapse' issue ever reared its head. Since switching out this weekend I've read some reviews which say it's a pretty good filter.

Honestly, it's one of those things where the price difference between the cheap-o bottom of the line and the high end is so minimal, you might as well go high end. Normally about a $8 filter-- it was on sale for $4.
Excellent choice on the Napa Gold filter. It's made by Wix.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Toledo must be expensive: the 5qt jug of Mobil One at WallyWorld here is $22. Make sure folks are noting the 5 qt's you get a WallyWorld vs. the gallon price most are qouting for M1 & the other brands most of the time. A $27/gal oil is $33.75 for 5 qts.

I pick up a Wix filter at O'Reilly's when I am in one, but Champion Labs makes Motorcraft, Some OEM GM applications, AC, Valvoline, AutoZone and the Mobil 1filter. The FL400 Motorcraft is butt cheap at Wally's and fits my 3.7 (check your application.)

Some folks believe that bragging rights are important enough to pay 75% more for a claimed 2% increase in performance or something silly like that. I do not.

Everyone has stats they trust, internet stories they believe in, etc... and will make there own choices. I have seen 3 fram filters burst on drag cars over the years. Split right open. So I avoid Fram. Your mileage may very.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some folks believe that bragging rights are important enough to pay 75% more for a claimed 2% increase in performance or something silly like that. I do not.

And my guess is that the 2% would probably be high.

Everyone has stats they trust, internet stories they believe in, etc... and will make there own choices. I have seen 3 fram filters burst on drag cars over the years. Split right open. So I avoid Fram. Your mileage may very.

And what you see on the drag strip may not reflect what you see going through school zones and 7-11 parking lots.

Generally speaking, where cost differences are minimal between the cheapest brand and the best, I'll get the best. A couple of bucks is cheap insurance against the possible failure.

But when real money is involved, I want to see laboratory results with lots of graphs and charts, all produced by disinterested parties.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Right now I'm using Valvoline conventional and Pureone Filter...it's Diggerized... :D

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I use motorcraft FL-1A or it equal size-little extra volume-what ever syn.oil is on sale at Autozone. Fram air filter every oil change,sometimes sooner. Syn. gear oil,Green Grease,ATF-4.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
why couldnt you be gaven a k&n filter

Hold a fram/stp up to light,then hold a kn up. You will be able to see through kn.Old man story,1987 I bought a 7.3 ford,put turbo on it,Gear venders OD,Amsoil bypass filter system,KN air filter-ran like a scolded dog-we did oil tests-3000m-5000m-7000m-9000m- kept getting contaminants that where consistent with air not being clean,switched to fram,started to get clean/normal test results,generally made it to 25,000m before changing oil,could have gone further,I chickened out. Still saved a bunch over trucks service life.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anybody going to yell at me if I tell you I have used a K&N HP2009 filter and Royal Purple 5W30 for my last oil change? The oil was $8 CDN a litre from a friend who has a mom n pop garage. The filter was on sale for $11 CDN at Canadian Tire. Cheaper than the XG3600 and larger volume too.

I've run synthetics since about the 1000 km mark. Everything from Amsoil to Q-State including Penzoil, Castrol and Mobil1. Also used Napa Gold, XGs, MotorCraft, Wix and whatever other filter is higher end and on sale. I'm not real brand specific. The dealer stills owes me a couple of free oil changes from when I bought my KJ. Never took them up on it.

I record the brand of filter/part # and oil brand in my little maintenance book at all the recommended intervals for sched B. Also record all reg maintenance like brakes, belts, tie rod ends.... in the little book.

Last edited:

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Is anybody going to yell at me if I tell you I have used a K&N HP2009 filter and Royal Purple 5W30 for my last oil change? The oil was $8 CDN a litre from a friend who has a mom n pop garage. The filter was on sale for $11 CDN at Canadian Tire. Cheaper than the XG3600 and larger volume too.

I've run synthetics since about the 1000 km mark. Everything from Amsoil to Q-State including Penzoil, Castrol and Mobil1. Also used Napa Gold, XGs, MotorCraft, Wix and whatever other filter is higher end and on sale. I'm not real brand specific. The dealer stills owes me a couple of free oil changes from when I bought my KJ. Never took them up on it.

I record the brand of filter/part # and oil brand in my little maintenance book at all the recommended intervals for sched B. Also record all reg maintenance like brakes, belts, tie rod ends.... in the little book.

Been thinking about Royal Purple,would think a KN oil filter is as good as any.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been thinking about Royal Purple,would think a KN oil filter is as good as any.

Royal Purple can't be all bad. It's an Esther based synthetic and for the price I paid, much cheaper than Amsoil. My Amsoil dealer moved away last summer. Even though it costs a pretty penny I'm sort of a stickler for the OICs. Considering the weather/climate here I'd never push an oil to 25k miles between changes.

Castrol Edge is in the latest Canadian Tire flyer, might try that next oil change.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might only be $30 for you. We get screwed north of the 49th.
Amsoil $14 litre
Mobil1 EP $13 litre
Castrol Edge $13 litre
Lucas Oil $12 litre
And it goes on. Remember, I need 5 litres to do a change.
Filters aren't inexpensive either.

Last edited:

dlancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I bought my KJ in January of 09' I have been using Wally World store brand full syn. 5w-30 with mopar filters. I asked the service guy if he knew who there store brand oil was made buy and he told me it was Mobil 1. It costs $17.00 for 5qt bottle. I still change it every 3 to 4,000 miles. It has been working great for me.

L

lil black liberty

I use Quaker State Horsepower for SUV 4x4 5W-30 Synthetic and Mobil-1 oil filters usually but this time I bought a Bosch and man..what a world of difference between the Mobil-1 and Bosch..My oil is actually cleaner with the Bosch..

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use Quaker State Horsepower for SUV 4x4 5W-30 Synthetic and Mobil-1 oil filters usually but this time I bought a Bosch and man..what a world of difference between the Mobil-1 and Bosch..My oil is actually cleaner with the Bosch..

But yours isn't a 4x4.....:D

jk

Members online

No members online now.