Looking for a cheaper synthetic regimen.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently use Amsoil full synthetic and have been running around 10K on each change with it. I'm trying to see what people using the mobile full synthetic pay for their oil. I'm trying to see what is cheaper. I would actually like to change to a 6K interval with Mobile and a wix (napa gold) filter. That way I'm getting more of the dirt removed from the oil more often.... yada yada yada.

So, what are you paying for the mobile full synthetic?

karter

Reaction score
Don't think your going to save any money ! Not trying to be a smart a-- but a few less McDonalds meals (insert whatever) and your back to giving your Libby the care you want it to have .
Walmart , Costco ,BJ's most likely the cheapest places to buy Mobile 1 oil.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if anything then I would benefit from more frequent changes. I'd be happy if two changes of mobil would cost the same as one change of Amsoil.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Budke. $22. so:

8.75 a quart for Amsoil x 5 = 43.75

Amsoil AE filter =-----------17.30

22 plus 5 (filter) = 27 x 2 = 54.00 or so.

I'm switching to Mobile 1 and 2 changes once every 6 or so. Gees, I don't know why Amsoil has to be so expensive.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
i use valvoline oil but i aint got here on a syn yet but i think next oil change im going to go to a syn blend.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Budke - The only thing I'll buy at Walmart (just because I hate Walmart) is the Mobil 1 5 quart jug for $22-$24.

I run it in the wife's G6 and the KJ...every 5k I change the oil for $30 and rotate the tires.

It just makes keeping track of maintenance easier - every 5k change it out, rotate tires, inspect brakes and suspension.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with Budke - The only thing I'll buy at Walmart (just because I hate Walmart) is the Mobil 1 5 quart jug for $22-$24.

I run it in the wife's G6 and the KJ...every 5k I change the oil for $30 and rotate the tires.

It just makes keeping track of maintenance easier - every 5k change it out, rotate tires, inspect brakes and suspension.

That's a good way to do it. I'll try to do that too.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out Pennzoil's new Ultra synthetic. It's 28.99$US for 5 Qts. Available at Walmart. It's receiving high praise over at Bob Is The Oil Guy Forum.

I am using German Castrol(Castrol Syntec 0W-30, Made In Germany), doing 7k miles OCI. You can get it at AutoZone for 6.99$US/QT.

M1, M1 EP, Pennzoil Platinum, Pennzoil Ultra, Quaker State Synthetic, Valvoline SynPower are also all good choices.

Use the oil your most comfortable with.

Last edited:

Boiler

Reaction score
mobil 1 filter is $10-14 usually, fyi. Recently I stocked up on mobil 1 and mobil 1 filters for $28 per 5 qts + filter. Got 3 changes worth and ran them out of 5w30....was at advance or autozone, i forget which.

bjs2063

Reaction score
buy Penzoil Platinum synthetic, better performance numbers on various oil tests than mobil 1, the only oil I've found that meets Chryslers latests specs for my 2009 Ram Hemi, cheaper than mobile 1, and can get at walmart for $22-23 a gallon. Never seen Mobile 1 for less than $27 gallon at walmart. Order pureone filters from Amazon in 2 packs. and you can't go wrong. I myself use amsoil in the wife's KJ but am switching to Penzoil on the next oil change. I never run the oil change past 6K miles, even though amsoil claims that you can do 1 year or 25K miles with their best oil and filter.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
buy Penzoil Platinum synthetic, better performance numbers on various oil tests than mobil 1, the only oil I've found that meets Chryslers latests specs for my 2009 Ram Hemi, cheaper than mobile 1, and can get at walmart for $22-23 a gallon. Never seen Mobile 1 for less than $27 gallon at walmart. Order pureone filters from Amazon in 2 packs. and you can't go wrong. I myself use amsoil in the wife's KJ but am switching to Penzoil on the next oil change. I never run the oil change past 6K miles, even though amsoil claims that you can do 1 year or 25K miles with their best oil and filter.
You should check out Pennzoil's new synthetic called Ultra. Seems to be pretty kick ass.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140003371945_200911241744.pdf

http://www.orangelineoil.com/images/medialibrary/PZ_Ultra_Brochure.pdf

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading oil threads never gets old. Put whatever you want in your Jeep. It will probably last just as long as long as you change it and use the right weight oil. Ohh and dont use fram or Pennzoil(Dino at least).

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading oil threads never gets old. Put whatever you want in your Jeep. It will probably last just as long as long as you change it and use the right weight oil. Ohh and dont use fram or Pennzoil(Dino at least).

Nothing wrong with Pennzoil. I agree about Fram, except for the XG series.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or...if you want a cheaper alternative, go to Carquest and buy their full-syn house label, which is manufactured by Ashland Oil Co (Valvoline). It may not have the same additive package as Valvoline full syn, but at $4.99/qt, plus about $5 for a Carquest filter (made by WIX) you can have a full syn oil change, and afford to do it. Then you could still change it every 5K and not break the bank.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
lol ill use fram all day long...i've never had one fck up on me b4..lol

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my oil with Castrol Syntec (little expensive so I'll have a friend who lives near a WallyWorld pick me up some Mobil 1 next time) and a NAPA Gold filter.

Thus far my truck has had whatever the dealer was putting in it.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my oil with Castrol Syntec (little expensive so I'll have a friend who lives near a WallyWorld pick me up some Mobil 1 next time) and a NAPA Gold filter.

Thus far my truck has had whatever the dealer was putting in it.
Which Castrol Syntec did you go for?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which Castrol Syntec did you go for?

The full synthetic. There were two on the shelves, one of the Syntecs claimed to be a 'blend'. Next time I'm gonna see what Costco or WallyWorld is offering. The price Budke quoted for Mobil 1 at $22 for 5qts is pretty good.

I believe it was this particular Syntec. The link is just an example, I didn't actually get it from Amazon.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The full synthetic. There were two on the shelves, one of the Syntecs claimed to be a 'blend'. Next time I'm gonna see what Costco or WallyWorld is offering. The price Budke quoted for Mobil 1 at $22 for 5qts is pretty good.

I believe it was this particular Syntec. The link is just an example, I didn't actually get it from Amazon.

5W-30 Syntec...gotcha. Pennzoil Platinum and M1 are also excellent choices. Which oil filter did ya go with?

Members online

No members online now.