Looking at buying another Liberty...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... keeping the 2002 we've got.

As my wife and dughter are constantly at war over who gets our Liberty, I thought the simple solution would be to just get another one.

I've found a 2005, 4x4 Limited, that looks good, got all the bells and whistles. My only concern is the mileage, it has 108 thousand on it.

Our current '02 Liberty has just over 40,000 and has been absolutely bullet proof.... I mean, nothing has ever broken.

With that in mind, should I even concern myself with the mileage....

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the 108,000 miles if it were taken care of. What I mean is if it were serviced regularly and most places have the service records on the computor. So for instance, if done at the same Jeep dealer they could be verified and also have a record of any recalls done. Even if done at the same independant shop it would be easy to pull up the vin and print the service records off. (the owner should by rights have copies but that doesn't always happen)

Of course you would give it a good test drive including getting it on dirt and using the 4 wheel drive to be sure it works properly. Also have a good mechanic drive it and get it on a lift and look it over.

Let us know how you make out with it.

Dave

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave for your thoughts. To me, 108,000 seems like high mileage, but I guess it really isn't. Over the years, I've found my wife and I average something like 3,000 miles per year... my '07 Magnum has less than 20,000, so our frame of reference is a bit "off".

The car I'm looking at is being sold by a local dealer with a good reputation, so maybe that says something about the condition.

Anyway, I'm gonna give a good going over, concentrating on the areas you suggested.

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9500 is really high, You should be able to get this for about 6K, mine which is an 04 Liberty Renegade was 6K three years ago with only 49k on it. Others in the area were going for about 1 k plus or minus with that. You are right though, Great Vehicle.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
108,000 is not many miles if its been taken care as mentioned earlier.
I have over 176,000 on an 04, buddy has one with over 201,000, an 03 model, neither have had any issues at all.
But of course like anything it could blow sky high tomorrow :happy175:

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, take it to a shop and have them check it out for you. If it checks out OK then find out what their bottom dollar is then offer them $500 to $1,000 less.

honu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well, it's a moot point... it's been sold.

Hey, guess I wasn't meant to have that particular one, may be a better deal right around the corner.

My advantage is, I'm in no rush... I don't "need" to buy another one, so I can shop for the best Liberty at the best price.