Lights out on brake lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen so many jeeps over the years, that has only one rear stop light working, I am in the same situation now. What I am suprised at is computer did not let me know the light was out. Thanks to a sensible fellow queens driver, he let me know that rear pass side light is not working. What if it was the signal not working, it is strange that computer cannot recognise it. I would be signaling all the way and curse at people who keeps coming at me and thinking "can't you see the signal!!", I guess that's why you check your lights regularly.. Good thing it is not the signal.

My uncle's 96 grand cherokee ltd with that additional screen near gear would show all the lights, too bad they don't make them anymore.

Any pointers, suggestions with the lamp?

Thanks.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing happened to me the other day, i had the driver side lamp out, and a fellow driver told me at a stoplight. But i dont have an evic so i guess i was just lucky to find out someway that the bulb was burned out.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, its pretty easy in the case of a blinker bulb burning out because the blinker relay will flash faster than normal.

But ***** about the brake light. Maybe time to switch to some LED bulbs (naughty)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
especko said:
same thing happened to me the other day, i had the driver side lamp out, and a fellow driver told me at a stoplight. But i dont have an evic so i guess i was just lucky to find out someway that the bulb was burned out.

I have evic... NO USE when the lights out.. did not warn me AT ALL!!

Maybe it warns when the fuse is out..

Miah, how can I check if the fuse is blown of if the lamp is limp? Plus, do you have any link for those LED lights?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
they should have those LED brake lights at strauss or pep boys..if not ebay

i like them...they can be seen better in rain and fog..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have them for the front turn signals? I think they are pretty weak and not much visible from side.

I will check strauss tonight. Thanks.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Do they have them for the front turn signals? I think they are pretty weak and not much visible from side.

I will check strauss tonight. Thanks.

they should....have it

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Don't have the LED bulbs personally but they should put out approximately the same amount of light. The optics around the bulb socket should take care of side visibility. My brother has LED bulbs in his Jimmy brake lights and I never even noticed until he told me, so the light is not going to be super dim or anything other than normal. But it will draw way less power, which is great, and fabulous, and they dont generate as much heat, rather almost none. But they are more reliable than incandescent bulbs and last longer too.
When you shop for them just bring the normal bulb with you and tell the guys you need the LED bulb to fit that size.

Check your manual for the fuse location in the fuse box. Then if its burnt, well youll see it.

I love that we can see out brake lights in the side view mirrors so I occasionally check to make sure I can see them lighting up. (My last car had brake lights one day and none the next, functionality was very sporadic for whatever reason)

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
I love that we can see out brake lights in the side view mirrors so I occasionally check to make sure I can see them lighting up. (My last car had brake lights one day and none the next, functionality was very sporadic for whatever reason)

i agree i usually check mine also that way. Otherwise i just close the garage door and step on the brake pedal to check.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just check how red the driver's face behind me is. :)

I also use the garage door trick time to time.

Or use the assistance of wife.
-Yes, yes it works, now let's go...

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a 94 grand that tells you all that stuff. Love that little computer. Only prblem with it, it tells you that it has a blown bulb and Ive changed all of them? I dont know how to fix it?

I usually look at the car behind me to see if they are working. I need to go over all my lights to make sure they are all working. Not done that in a while.

Rocky04

Reaction score
The problem is that the brake light put to much heat out when you stay to long on your brake, for example if you stuck in traffic. That will cause the bulb to fail and maybe your tail light cover to meld. The EVIC in the Liberty doesn't have to bulb check feature. I had the same problem and went LED, because I don't want constantly wory about if my brake lights are working or not. But I tried the one from Straus and Pep Boys (12 LEDs) there are not that bright and there putting the light to "straid" out. So you will have only a small area lit up. I found some on the Internet, there made out of 24 LED and putting out a much "wider" light. Also if you go and buy one, get the same color as what you needed for, there will be much brighter than if you get just white.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Only one i've had go out on mine is the top center one above the glass...really easy to replace the bulb.

I've heard that getting the tail light assembly out the first time is a real bitch on the KJ.

Yeah like miah said just find in the owners book where the fuse is located, pull it, and if it's burnt or you can see clearly where the fuse is no longer "connected" replace it....if your not sure you can swap it with another fuse of the same rating and see if they work and what you just swapped it with doesn't work.

Also, I believe there is a set of spare fuses already included? I know MOST vehicles come with one of each fuse for the inside fuse box's as they tend to go out more often than the under the hood ones....saves you a trip to the store to buy a box of $2 fuses.

And I agree about there not being a warning light/sign when you have a brake light go out...buddy of mine had a 88 300ZX and when he had a tail light go out, when he stepped on the brake pedal a light would light up that said "brake" on the dash and go back off when he let go....replaced the bulb in the tail light and the light on the dash stopped coming on....and this was on a vehicle built in 1988.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for Jinxing me. Right side tail light bulb is dead. I bought replacements today, and tomorrow morn they will be installed (along with all the cool things I got from Bennett!!)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Thanks all for Jinxing me. Right side tail light bulb is dead. I bought replacements today, and tomorrow morn they will be installed (along with all the cool things I got from Bennett!!)
I had my CHMSL on my '04 die before 9 months.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shame on me, I couldn't remove the lens.. I might have broke something as well, just screwed it back on like nothing happend.. Looking for some tips on how to remove it easily, or head to dealer and ask them how much they'll charge me for the replacement.. let me see..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but it is a whole lotta fight to get the lens removed! I hated it. Both being scared that it will chip off the sides or will break something that i have no idea how to fix and have to go to the dealer with lens hanging off....

Anyway, I was able to get it off. I tugged on it really hard and it just came off. Apparently you have to put a lot of force, the first time you are removing it.

While removed I had my cousin test it with the brake light with a tap, what do you know, the struggle probably moved a few things around and viola, it was working!

I screwed it back on happily and came back to post this. :)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
what do you know, it is out again.. we are playing catch.. after a few slaps on the lens, it didn't come back, it might have gone for good this time.. will unscrew and retry, if not will have dealer look at it, if there is some connection or twisted cord problems.. I saw some taped cables when I opened it up.. shouldn't bulbs be under 3/36 warranty? [-(

Latest posts

Members online