Light bars and legality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeb

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I'm I new Renegade owner and a new member of these forums. I'm really enjoying reading all the information here so far.

But I have a question. Various people have told me that it is illegal to run without the liberty's light bar covers in place. I'm going to assume it's illegal to drive with the lights themselves on, but I can't find anybody that can give me a straight answer about the covers. I'm in Kentucky and Tennessee. I live way back in a wooded area, so it would be nice to have them available for use on my property, but I don't like the idea of getting out and covering/uncovering them every day.

Is there anybody out there that knows anything more about this?

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really comes down to which state you live and the local laws, and if the cop has nothing else to do and wants to give you a
"fix it" ticket.

Just like the other day for me, "fix it" ticket for my license plate covers. They can't be tinted in California. I mean, who cares, people are blowing past me at 90.... I figure he wanted a closer look at my Liberty.

But I think, go for it, leave them off, I don't cover my additional lights that I mounted to the bumper.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah, what trodo said, it boils down to what state you are in. a while back there was a discussion about this in another forum, and i think it was maryland or virginia....well, one of those states that required you to have a cap on.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in Mass I got pulled over for having a license plate FRAME!

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#22

While looking at laws, I found this, which is interesting to note:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-7r.5.htm:
Chapter 90: Section 7R 1/2 Dealers insignias, logos or plates; placement on motor vehicles; consent

Section 7R1/2. No seller, or an agent or employee of a seller, of motor vehicles shall place on a motor vehicle an insignia, logo or other plate that advertises the name of the seller without first having obtained the written consent of the buyer of such motor vehicle. Such seller must provide a buyer with a written consent form at the time of the purchase of the motor vehicle. The original of such written consent form shall be retained by the seller and a copy retained by the buyer. Any such seller's failure to obtain written consent from the buyer shall enable the buyer to request that the seller remove any insignia, logo or plate and make all repairs necessary to restore the motor vehicle to its original condition. Each seller shall post in a conspicuous place, a notice explaining the buyer's rights under this section.

Any violation of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not less than two hundred dollars.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah in NY, there was a big thing about it too, about the license plate frames. some ppl got pulled over, some dont, but it was agaisnt the law to have thme (which is wierd, cuz dealers put them on.) asked my friends that work on that side, and they say, take it off, just in case...so i did

rennie2k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i drive my renny without the covers all the time....passed many cops and never got pulled over (yet)..not sure what he law is in ri

jeb

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'll think I'll try running w/o the caps. I can't imagine that KY/TN law would be more strict about vehicle lighting than any other states.

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TN/VA

I live on the border betwewnt TN & VA and drive back and forth between the two. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but Tennessee vehicle laws are the most lax I've seen in the country. I know guys that hollow out their catalytic converters. No inspection stickers required. I've seen vehicles with no hoods and quater panels driving down the interstate. Virginia on the other hand is extremely strict. You must pass a yearly inspection. No loud music or mufflers. No window tints, no license plate covers, and nothing hanging from the rear view mirror.

As stated before, it varies widely from state to state. Soory I didn't have any info on Kentucky. I don't see what the problem would be with driving with the covers off, if the lights are off. But common sense and intelligence have never been a requirement of those who make and enforce the laws.

priell3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had my roof lights covered in over 2 years though PA law says they must be covered. See below.

You must be registered for see images

jeb

Reaction score
Re: TN/VA

VTNomad said:
I live on the border betwewnt TN & VA and drive back and forth between the two. I'm not sure about Kentucky, but Tennessee vehicle laws are the most lax I've seen in the country. I know guys that hollow out their catalytic converters. No inspection stickers required. I've seen vehicles with no hoods and quater panels driving down the interstate. Virginia on the other hand is extremely strict. You must pass a yearly inspection. No loud music or mufflers. No window tints, no license plate covers, and nothing hanging from the rear view mirror.

As stated before, it varies widely from state to state. Soory I didn't have any info on Kentucky. I don't see what the problem would be with driving with the covers off, if the lights are off. But common sense and intelligence have never been a requirement of those who make and enforce the laws.

Yeah. I'm in the Nashville/Clarksville area on the west side. I've seen all kinds of vehicles that I wouldn't call road-worthy. All rusted out, no mufflers, doors tied on with bungee cord, etc. I can't imagine anybody being uptight over lights.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I see alot of them running around with no covers here in NC. I would say go for it, as long as you dont drive a main road with them on (duh!)....them some bright ass lights!!

VTNomad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 said:
I haven't had my roof lights covered in over 2 years though PA law says they must be covered. See below.

The law says that they must be covered on the highway, but the way I'm reading it, looks like there is only a penalty if you get caught with them on.

dnm45227

Reaction score
The way I read it, seems like they could issue a citation for either offense and write it under that section.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
In wisconsin, if you don't have light covers- you'll get pulled over... It happened to me before... and also you need to have a front license plate, cause I got pulled over for that too.

#-o #-o

Just fix it tickets, so there's no fine.

Bennett

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, if its anything like the town i live in, then they will not care at all, KY is the best state in the US, lol jk.

fujitsubo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a discretionary issue. Most likely it would definitely depend on your state and the laws surrounding the operation of a motor vehicle. I'm sure most officers don't appreciate if your flicking your lights at motorists but if used wisely, there should be no reason why you should be issued a citation unless of course your state prohibits them. Troopers will pull you over if you do something illegal which would add to your fine if you piss them off.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it work for driving in states that the car isn't registered in?

obviously something like an offroad light cover you can just slap on, but what about window tinting, blinker colors, number of license plates, etc? I would think if it's legal in the state you're registered in, it should still be legal where you drive to....It's not exactly fair to get a ticket for tinted windows when they are legal at home (not that I've gotten that, just that I suppose it's possible).

Guyute1210

Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
How does it work for driving in states that the car isn't registered in?
AFAIK, if it's legal in your home state, there is nothing they can do about it. I.e. I had a friend that lived in WV, and had a huge Chevy truck with a lift, 35" tires and all that jazz. He moved to PA, but kept it registered at his parents house, and a neighbor who was a state trooper was admiring his rig, and even mentioned that the laws in PA regarding Fender Flairs, Bumper Height, etc. were messed up. Of course we were in college, and he was here for school, so he couldn't do anything about getting it registered in the state.

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
priell3 said:

THe only issue in PA is that the 100 dollar fine ends up being 200 with all the "other" charges- judiicial fee, police retirement fund, we caught you so we're going to add all these hidden fees fund....etc.....