Lifting a LTD for towing...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PolarWolf

Reaction score
Hi!

New member here. I've been reading lots about my soon ('ish, I'm off on vacation first) to purchase '05 Liberty (or Cherokee as it called here). It'll likely be a Limited (hey, leather interior and all that) and I want to raise it a little. It won't be a rock crawler, but I do like to be able to take it offroad on some mild trails. Most of the time, however, it'll double duty as daily driver and tow rig for my real offroader, a '79 CJ7. Fitting a winch bumper might be in the cards, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

To the point. I'll want to lift the liberty to fit a bit larger tires for ground clearance. 2" would suffice, I guess, fitting the ever popular 245/75R16. I first ran across the Rocky Road lift kit, and even put some feelers out. They replied too, so thusfar things are smooth. Upon researching more I came across forums, negative advices on RRO, and very positive experience with the JBA stuff. So, I've decided to switch to that kit instead, I recon the econo kit will give me most bang for the buck (aside from piecing the kit together myself, which I don't feel like doing). Lots of experience with the kit to learn from, so all in all a good thing. What I don't come across a lot though is whether or not the rear springs and shocks in the kit will be suitable for towing considerable weight. The trailer with CJ7 will hover around 5000lbs. Would the econo lift kit have any problems with that much towed weight or should I opt for stiffer springs (if there are any) and/or different shocks?

Also, regearing. Even though the tire size I'm planning doesn't seem to require regearing for general use, would it be wise to do so anyway to make towing easier? I've never regeared an axle before, but I'm not shy to try if it'll make the whole life with a Liberty more pleasant.

Thanks for your input :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If towing and going to any larger tires at all I would regear for sure
As far as the springs go normal loads would be finebut yours will be taking it to the max. Not sure how your hitches are over there but here we have equalizer hitches to help with the weight of heavier trailers/loads, distributes the load better.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would look into putting load leveling air bags in the back, the kind that go inside the coil springs. You could leave them deflated until you need to haul a load, then pump em up. This: Air Lift

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always swap out the rear shocks for the monroe sensatrac load adjusting coilovers

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You could always swap out the rear shocks for the monroe sensatrac load adjusting coilovers

Sent from my iPhone using the power of children's laughter

Over 55,000 on mine and still work great, about time for another set of them though OR upgrade to.......................:icon_eek:

PolarWolf

Reaction score
I would look into putting load leveling air bags in the back, the kind that go inside the coil springs. You could leave them deflated until you need to haul a load, then pump em up. This: Air Lift

This is actually quite an interresting option. Would stuffing something inside the coils hinder offroad performance, or would the bags be damaged easily as the suspension cycles?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.