Liftgate strut replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jarvis

Reaction score
The gas struts that hold open the glass on the flipper gate are getting a little tired. I think I can probably replace these myself, but wanted to see if anyone else has done so can confirm it is a do-it-yourself type job before ordering the parts (about $37 per strut).

Anyone?

Thanks,

jarvis

Reaction score
Yeah, I took a look at them. Seems to be pretty straightforward.

I ordered replacement struts made by Monroe (part number 901512) from Auto Parts Warehouse. I order 2, at $25/per. APW is a little more expensive than some other places on the web, but usually have discount coupons (I found one for $10/off) as well as free shipping.

Part number 901513 is NOT the correct part number to use, no matter what the online places tell you... it's slightly shorter than the '512 part.

EDIT: Auto Parts Warehouse couldn't get them, and cancelled my order. Rock Auto had them in stock, and delivered them w/no problem. As a bonus, Rock Auto was much cheaper.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I took a look at them. Seems to be pretty straightforward.

I ordered replacement struts made by Monroe (part number 901512) from Auto Parts Warehouse. I order 2, at $25/per. APW is a little more expensive than some other places on the web, but usually have discount coupons (I found one for $10/off) as well as free shipping.

Part number 901513 is NOT the correct part number to use, no matter what the online places tell you... it's slightly shorter than the '512 part.

The Monroe 901512 is what my neighbor ordered for his off Rock Auto, cost $15 each plus shipping, i think he spent about $40 total.

The Monroe 901513 is the Hood lift struts, just so ya know...

jarvis

Reaction score
Well, original online supplier cancelled my strut order, so I ordered from Rock Auto.

Got them in today and replaced the originals. It was cake. Easier than replacing the windshield wipers even. It was a 10 minute job.

The only tool you need is a small flat head screwdriver with which to slide the retaining collar up on each end of the strut.

Thumbs up to Rock Auto for lowest price and good service.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal!

Those guys at Rock Auto have ALWAYS treated me great, better then even the local parts stores.