Lifter and pullies etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
So i have Liberty 03 3.7 V6.

It started making a noise pointing to the lifters being shot. This was both on idle and load. So off to Jeep to get a fresh set of 12 the lifters were in and guess what, noise is still there but less and now only on idle.

So after hours and hours of trawling every know Jeep forum and club site and translating a few Russian and chinese sites ,and phone calls to a few half in the know Jeep machies in the good ol USA we have come up with nothing.

We have removed the cams and checked the cam lobes, checked the valves and springs and valve seats. we have checked the chain and guides and all the pullies and gear wheels. We have stuck a scope in to see if the pistons are ok and we have also checked the bearings. We have checked the water pump, aircon power stearing and inersia fan and electric fan.

We have checked oil preasure and the pump, and done compresion tests. Changed all the plugs and coils and cleaned the intake as well. We have checked the motor mounts and gear box and transfer case mounts and checked the drive shafts.

So this now leaves me still wondering and searching what the hell it is. The car performs greats and there is no power loss.

Im left with a functioning car but still on idle in and out of gear a nice "tuk tuk tuk tuk" sound.

Is there anyone out there who has experianced this or something similar.

Sharky

Reaction score
Yea I just had my power steering replace bad bearing was knocking like if it was a bad valve fixed 100% now .....I never would of guessed it was the power steering....lol

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
MMM ok. so what were your symptoms..... was the steering hard, noisy or loosing fluid.

My rack is fine and the pump is also ok. Steering is light and smooth on turning.

Sharky

Reaction score
knocking steering pump bearing.....

The pump felt great no whinning or steering issue at all just the knocking in the bearing, I even felt bad changing it since it was just the bearing.....

Sharky

Reaction score
Remove Belt, If noise stops with engine running with no belt then its one of your puppies or power steering pump bearing...

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
Remove Belt, If noise stops with engine running with no belt then its one of your puppies or power steering pump bearing...

Ya bud tried that.......

So i had it taken to another workshop who say they looked at the cam lobes and gears and chain guides ect ect and have since caused even more crap as they put the crank pully back like a smelly **** and that had the belt out of alignment and now the belt got stuffed and the tensioner got hurt so they have cost me evn more cash now......

oh well who knows then.... i give up.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
So the heads have now been taken off as the thinking was that it could only now be the valves or valve seats.

Low and behold both head gaskets have or are in the process of been blown. there is a small amount of water getting into cylinder 1 and has rusted the ******* plug causing the occasional miss fire. The lifter noise..... well we suspect that because the the gasket has blown between the cylinders there is over fueling and cross contamination between the cylinders. Well that explains the 3 to 1 ratio of gas usage.....

So the heads are being done now and we are replacing all the gaskets etc.......

I just hope this fps is fix right now when it has been put back together.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
so the heads went back on after only finding a mildly starting to fail head gasket.

The noise was still there so i took it a parked it. Until we could figure it out. But as december is about as productive as a government official we wait.

Thinking was maybe the bottem end. Bearings rods or something. So i was about to take it so we could pull the motor and see what the FPS was doing the right hand timing chain went SNAP.

So now we have to replace all that stuff seen as the left side is showing signs of breaking too. Once i win the lotto and get the replacement parts and put it all together again with some ductape we can see if the noise has finally been fixed.

hillbillyhotrod

Reaction score
So the Jeep is going Again.

Well lets say that after all the parts ect and it snapping the right side timing chain and then replacing all the chains, guides and interspersion the noise was still there.

So after contemplating matches and petrol and the insurance payout we pulled the motor AGAIN.

We found that Piston 2 was making the knocking noise. Turns out the conrod at the small end where the gudgen pin goes was worn and causing the noise. basically the piston was moving around.

So after a whole lot of wasted cash and frustration we replaced the piston and everything is well again.......