Lift help asap. Shipped wrong rear shocks maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sitting here in the garage on base thinking I was going to install my lift today. Turns out I think jba sent me two sets of front shocks no rear. And, I received 947s instead of 948s since the ironman rear springs were out of stock. I am fuming pretty bad right about now. Wondering if anyone is on here who I could call/send pictures via phone to make sure I have the right stuff since I am paying each hour I am at the garage. Oh, btw I ordered the ironman heavy duty lift from jba. Please help thank you! 7327706192

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea, but here's a bump so maybe someone who does will notice. Hope you get it worked out.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you to Snail Farmer for the fast help. It turns out, I got the correct front shocks and springs, but got a set of rear toyota tacoma shocks instead of the ones I needed.. I already called JBA but they are closed weekends so I will try monday if I don't get a call back. The rear springs I ordered as part of the complete ironman lift were out of stock so he sent me OME instead and that wouldn't be an issue. He set me 947s when the equivalent would be 948s I would think.. No? any thoughts on that?

My question to those who have installed the lift before... how in the heck did you get the strut forks back on?!?! I was at that for a solid couple of hours yesterday and no luck. I have them on the struts, and got them spread so they go high up there but then getting the lower aligned with the LCA I am baffled. I tried a ratchet strap but dont really have anything to mount it to. Also nailed at it with a hammer. Nope.

Before assembling my second strut tower, I ran into an issue. The shock compressed a little, making it shorter. I will trying compressing the spring again to try and get it to fit, but it will be tight at best. Anyway to decompress a compressed strut?

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When trying to align the clevis (strut fork) with the LCA I used ratchet straps. I hooked one end to the LCA and the other end I just hooked in the holes of the skid plate so it pulled the LCA down enough to push the clevis in. If you don't have skid plates maybe someone else can chime in how they did it.

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont have skids, but I chose to attach the ratchet to holes in the frame. Works pretty well. How low can the cv droop before it gets disconnected from the diff? And can i remove the lca ball joint attached to the cv in order to get the fork in? Or will that mess anything up?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
How low can the cv droop before it gets disconnected from the diff? And can i remove the lca ball joint attached to the cv in order to get the fork in? Or will that mess anything up?

It probably won't come out but if it does just firmly push straight inwards. The snap ring will click back into place.

LBJ can be removed to help but usually not necessary. Just don't use a pickle fork. :eek:

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, got the fork on. I cheated and took off the nut for the lower ball joint. But on reassembly, the bolt spins with the nut on it. I am thinkin new ball joints ?

Correction.. Both upper and lower ball joint bolts are spinning and I tighten nuts.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
That happens :) an 8-10 mm (can't remember) socket will fit on the end of the BJ stud and stop it turning while you tighten.

P.S. This is the location I use .. a thick (car tie down) ratchet strap works very well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Thanks for pitching in Luke I was outside replacing an alternator for my neighbor.

We'll get em there ;)

Forgot to mention if you tighten/install the LBJ first, then the weight of the knuckle should help stop the UBJ from turning when you install the nut :waytogo:

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got everything squared away.. Thank you all for all the help. The passenger side took about 2 hours since it was just me, and I have never done this sorta thing before. The driver's side took maybe a half hour. I didn't even take the caliper off the driver's side. I don't think it is necessary but that could just be me.

I didn't get a call back from Marlin today and was busy training, but I will call him tomorrow to get everything sent out. Hope we can do it before I go on temporary duty. I leave sunday for a month.

Pictures to follow!!!!

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the during and final (sort of) product. I got the proper shocks in for the rear, waiting on the springs. For now, there are OME 947s on the rear and stock shocks. Front is all ironman. I LOVE IT. Ride is amazing compared to stock. Anyone considering whether the ~900 is worth it, it certainly is. Once I get back from my temporary duty next month, I will be putting the rear together properly and building a rear bumper, sliders, and roof rack. Any questions let me know!

This was what I originally got in the mail..

Doing the front..

Front done!!! It was a pain the first time, and cake the second..

Wheel back on!

As she sits now..

Anyone see anything wrong ? My only question which I realized after I have driven it a little was the lower spring isolators on the front.. Should I have take them off the stock shocks and put them on the new ones ?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the during and final (sort of) product. I got the proper shocks in for the rear, waiting on the springs. For now, there are OME 947s on the rear and stock shocks. Front is all ironman. I LOVE IT. Ride is amazing compared to stock. Anyone considering whether the ~900 is worth it, it certainly is. Once I get back from my temporary duty next month, I will be putting the rear together properly and building a rear bumper, sliders, and roof rack. Any questions let me know!

This was what I originally got in the mail..

Doing the front..

Front done!!! It was a pain the first time, and cake the second..

Wheel back on!

As she sits now..

Anyone see anything wrong ? My only question which I realized after I have driven it a little was the lower spring isolators on the front.. Should I have take them off the stock shocks and put them on the new ones ?

Yes you need to get them installed!

Jerpaderp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OOPS!! Looks like I will be wrestling with those strut springs again when I return! I am going to order a couple upper spring isolators and front strut shims then as well. May as well add more while I am in there again!

Members online