Liberty may be up a creek without a belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
javert said:
glaurick said:
Just to let you know penske, I just went outside and did you hose trick with every light, a/c, turning wheel and nothing wierd happened, go peddle your wares elsewhere :-({|=

Does no one listen. You have an 04. The problem is with the 05 and up (3.7L only). Does no one know how to read here?
I know how to read. Your theory didn't prove to be true.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
Ok, before anyone blasts me for posting a link, I found this online and did not know how to add the pdf. This is very interesting seeing as Jeep Libertys are supposed to be "trail rated" and go through water etc. Unbelievable the belt actually stops when it gets wet. Try it for yourself.

http://www.tendeco.com/techtips.nsf...ff9477eb50c77c0b852570d00054d3dc?OpenDocument

I've crossed countless streams, that where almost at the hood line and not once have I had a problem. Plus there are other count less people that wheel their KJ across deep creeks and streams and no one has ever reported a problem.

I've also wheel with people in an 05 and 06 KJ through plenty of deep water and they have never had a problem.

BTW, If I remember correctly didn't your post get deleted from some other jeep forum sites because of advertising?

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know how to read, you don't know how to present fact, all you can say is "SOMETHING Changed in 05"

javert

Reaction score
glaurick said:
I know how to read, you don't know how to present fact, all you can say is "SOMETHING Changed in 05"

OK you want facts:

In the ongoing quest for more torque and more Horsepower and lower emissions, I believe jeep made some internal engine changes (not sure what) as well as computer calibration to the Liberty 3.7L. These changes caused a belt system issue to the point where the vehcile was not sellable. The belt material was subsequently changed and they also found they had to add a one way clutch pulley to the alternator in order to sell the first few thousand off the line. If you want to verify my "facts" why not call up a dealership and ask for the part number of an alternator for a 2004 or 03 vs. a 2005?

Please stop attacking my character and continually calling me a salesman. Yes, I have been kicked out of another forum, simply by telling people what parts seem to work the best for their situation (they thought I was selling as well). I am only trying to help. Trust me, when it comes to belt drives, I know a thing or two. If you read some of my posts, you will see that I recommend both Goodyear parts as well as Gates parts. Are Goodyear and Gates not direct competitors?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
glaurick said:

OK you want facts:

In the ongoing quest for more torque and more Horsepower and lower emissions, I believe jeep made some internal engine changes (not sure what) as well as computer calibration to the Liberty 3.7L. These changes caused a belt system issue to the point where the vehcile was not sellable. The belt material was subsequently changed and they also found they had to add a one way clutch pulley to the alternator in order to sell the first few thousand off the line. If you want to verify my "facts" why not call up a dealership and ask for the part number of an alternator for a 2004 or 03 vs. a 2005?

Please stop attacking my character and continually calling me a salesman. Yes, I have been kicked out of another forum, simply by telling people what parts seem to work the best for their situation (they thought I was selling as well). I am only trying to help. Trust me, when it comes to belt drives, I know a thing or two. If you read some of my posts, you will see that I recommend both Goodyear parts as well as Gates parts. Are Goodyear and Gates not direct competitors?

Interesting. Both Napa and Advanced Auto both list the same 160 amp alternator for an 03 and 05. Just for the fun of it I called Jeep. Same 160 amp alternator for both. It list 02-06 for the years. However, Napa and Jeep lists a different 136 amp alternator for 05 vs 03, but advanced lists the same one.

Fact is, there are tons of people that wheel 05 and up KJs through deep water and not one has had a problem. I've personally wheeled with an 05 and 06 KJ numerous time through deep water and not one of them had a problem.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Eddo said:
javert said:
glaurick said:

OK you want facts:

Interesting. Both Napa and Advanced Auto both list the same 160 amp alternator for an 03 and 05. Just for the fun of it I called Jeep. Same 160 amp alternator for both. It list 02-06 for the years. However, Napa and Jeep lists a different 136 amp alternator for 05 vs 03, but advanced lists the same one.

Fact is, there are tons of people that wheel 05 and up KJs through deep water and not one has had a problem. I've personally wheeled with an 05 and 06 KJ numerous time through deep water and not one of them had a problem.

Nice to see there are others who see this the same way that I do.

We are not attacking your character, we are merely trying to tell you that the information you have is false. The 3.7L is the same on all Liberty's...from the first one that rolled off the line for the 2002 year, to the ones rolling off the line right now. Therefore, if there was an issue on the 2005 3.7L, there would be a problem with ALL of them. Period.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Yet the horsepower and torque ratings did not change for 2005. 210HP / 235lb/ft of torque.

And emissions data is still the same...

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
...they had to add a one way clutch pulley to the alternator in order to sell the first few thousand off the line....

Ok so everytime you call a dealer to order an alternator they need your VIN so they know if your 05 is one of the "First few thousand" and they need the magic alternator for your particular motor? It's not the entire model year? [sarcasam] Just trying to clarify, since you clearly know so much about the motor and belt system. [/sarcasam]

edit: Well, eddo beat me to calling jeep. See a few posts up. And thumbs up to eddo.

javert said:

[soapbox]

1)No one on this forum has reported a belt siezing/sliping/fording water issue

2)Multiple (well-respected) members have tested this theory on multiple model years, INCLUDING the 05, and not had a problem, both in driveways and real-world situations.

3)Even you must admit, your arrival on this forum was curious. No "hey, i'm new" post, no previous posts, then wham. 2 posts in two separate sections about the same thing. Mind you, a problem that dosen't seem to be a problem for anyone. If that isn't suspicious, i'm santa claus.

4) I'm not going to lie, I find this thread amusing. Simple minds, simple pleasures I guess.

[/soapbox]

javert

Reaction score
2003KJ said:
We are not attacking your character, we are merely trying to tell you that the information you have is false. The 3.7L is the same on all Liberty's...from the first one that rolled off the line for the 2002 year, to the ones rolling off the line right now. Therefore, if there was an issue on the 2005 3.7L, there would be a problem with ALL of them. Period.

Lets just straighten this out once and for all:

Call a Jeep dealer and ask to buy an alternator for a 2005 Jeep liberty with a 3.7L eng. The will ask you what your vin number is because there are 2 different ones available. Early 05 alts have a one way clutch pulley on it and the other one does not.

the two part numbers are:

Try it for yourself and you'll soon stop making statements about my so called "false information".

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
Try it for yourself and you'll soon stop making statements about my so called "false information".

Yep. So um, go ahead and read eddo's post on the previous page. Pretty sure he did. Is it entirely possible that one of those is the 160amp and the other is the 136amp?

Arguing on the internet is stupid, but fun!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Cableguy said:
javert said:

Yep. So um, go ahead and read eddo's post on the previous page. Pretty sure he did. Is it entirely possible that one of those is the 160amp and the other is the 136amp?

Arguing on the internet is stupid, but fun!

x2.

I also just got off the phone with my friend who is the parts manager at my local Jeep dealer. He's showing the same, 160amp alternator for all Jeep liberty's with the 3.7.

So untill I see actual proof that there is in fact a change such as this, i'm going to go ahead and call it spobi.

javert

Reaction score
Cableguy said:

My point exactly ! Why would there be two different alts available for only one year Liberty 3.7L? I told you something changed. They were trying to fix the belt drive issue by alternator changing (one way clutch pulley). Thanks for finally agreeing with me.

I seem to recall someone saying that a 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7 and that they are all the same ( all years as well).

Once again thanks for finally agreeing with me.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
javert said:
Cableguy said:

My point exactly ! Why would there be two different alts available for only one year Liberty 3.7L? I told you something changed. They were trying to fix the belt drive issue by alternator changing (one way clutch pulley). Thanks for finally agreeing with me.

I seem to recall someone saying that a 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7 and that they are all the same ( all years as well).

Note that I didn't agree with you at all.

You should realize that the renegade uses a 160 amp alternator, and the limited/sport uses the 136 amp. Two different alternators for different trim levels. A 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7, but the alternators are different for the rennegade to run the lightbar etc. The motor is no different.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Uh, he didn't agree with you.

136A Alternator is standard on Sport.

160A Alternator is standard on Renegade.

The engine is still the same, that is exactly what 2003KJ was attemtping to point out.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Uh, he didn't agree with you.

136A Alternator is standard on Sport.

160A Alternator is standard on Renegade.

The engine is still the same, that is exactly what 2003KJ was attemtping to point out.

Marlon FTW.

(For the win)
\:D/

Wow, this got out of hand in a hurry.

javert

Reaction score
Cableguy said:
javert said:
Cableguy said:

Note that I didn't agree with you at all.

You should realize that the renegade uses a 160 amp alternator, and the limited/sport uses the 136 amp. Two different alternators for different trim levels. A 3.7 is a 3.7 is a 3.7, but the alternators are different for the rennegade to run the lightbar etc. The motor is no different.

You guys are killing me here. Do I need to go into belt lengths. Why are there different belt lengths availble, if nothing changed?

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother? (banghead)

2003KJ

Reaction score
javert said:

That would be me. And i've said that several times.

Cableguy and Marlon are correct. There are two different alternators available because the Renegade model needs the 160 to power the light bar, in addition to the rest of the electronics. This is what I was trying to get at, and I appologize if I was not clear. But my original statement is still correct, that all the 3.7's are the same. Same design, same function, same parts.

I also just a call back from my parts guy. He mashed a wrong key on his computer and didn't catch it. He's now showing (as has been stated before) that there is a 136 and a 160 alt available for all KJ's...and the 160 is for the renegade, as stated before and above, to help power the light bar.

I asked him if there have been any changes in regards to the pully systems and he says that all model years are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.