Liberty Lift Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 KJ (Pre-Lowered) still under factory warranty. I don't want to go hog wild until the warranty is over but I would like to level the Liberty in the front (for the clearance and looks). I measured the clearance at my BoulderBars (level with the body) and the front drops a full inch. I found a 3/4 inch Poly Spacer at Rustys and it seems like it would work well for me.

I would greatly appreciate and opinions or suggestions that anyone has. I am assuming that, other than a front-wheel alignment, there is nothing else I need to do before/after/during I install the spacer.

Here is the link to the Poly Spacer:

http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/...ys&Product_Code=KJPS&Category_Code=sus_kj_par

Thanks...

chefdab

Reaction score
Just to level out the front, you would want to do a clevis adjustment. Instructions for this are on the LOST boards under the tech section. A spacer would be too much lift. For the front, the amount of lift gained is approximately twice as much as the adjusment to the strut mount.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in other words, I'm an idiot and I forgot that any change in strut height has about a 2x impact on overall ride height (banghead)

I was trying to avoid the clevis lift but I guess I haven't heard any bad reports. I guess I'll go 1/2 an inch ... for 1 inch total :)

Thanks for the response.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clarification

Well I took a front tire off today and looked at the clevis mount. My strut hangs about 1/8" below the clevis mount (I have a 2002 incidentally). I want a 1 inch suspension lift (to merely level the KJ) which would mean, to achieve this, the strut would have to be 3/8" above the bottom of the clevis mount. To the people that have done the clevis lift, is this amount of change acceptable? I’ve read everything I can about this mod but I can never figure out where they get their measurement, or amount of change from (1. total vertical adjustment or 2. distance from the bottom of the clevis mount).

If anyone actually has their strut 3/8" above the bottom of the clevis mount I'd love to hear about it :)

Thanks in advance

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I moved mine down 5/8" from the fully seated position and I still want to drop it down more.

It's going to stick out of the strut, since the strut isn't long enough. As long as you torque it to about 100 lbs you should be ok, I think.

Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be a pain in the **** but do you mean that the bottom of your strut is 5/8" above the bottom of the clevis bracket and you would like to raise it higher? When you say "down" it freaks me out! I worry I am misunderstanding things...

Thanks so much for the reply :)

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
I did a edit in the last post before I saw your response.

but here was the jist.

I moved it down 5/8" from the fully seated position (how it was stock)

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I think I figured out why I am so confused. When I say "up" I am thinking about moving the strut up in the bracket. When you say "down" I assume you are talking about moving the clevis bracket down from the strut? Either way you word it we are both talking about lengthening the distance between the clevis bracket and the top of the strut?

On a similar note, looking at my setup now it doesn't look like the strut is fully seated on the bracket anyways (or even could be for that matter). My front suspension is bone stock so I assume that the clevis bracket does all of the work anyways. Is there some kind of lip that becomes visible when you raise the strut higher in the clevis bracket?

Thanks again for your response.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
andersonbc said:
I assume you are talking about moving the clevis bracket down from the strut?

Exactly.

andersonbc said:
On a similar note, looking at my setup now it doesn't look like the strut is fully seated on the bracket anyways (or even could be for that matter). My front suspension is bone stock so I assume that the clevis bracket does all of the work anyways. Is there some kind of lip that becomes visible when you raise the strut higher in the clevis bracket?

It really doesn't fully seat as from my memory, but I'll go out tommorow and see if I can notice the lip you speak of.

If you got a camera, posting a pic might help.

Bennett