Let me know what you think!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It handles up to 800W, which works for my laptop and video camera, and small stuff like that. I haven't checked if it can handle a shop-vac (id like to keep the KJ clean and there arent many outlets around since I'm in college). I'd love to be able to run a shopvac and clean once a week or so!

Apologies. It looked like one of those 150 watt models. It looks smaller than my 400 watt, so I figured it had a lower rating. Also, is that a 400 with 800 "peak" or really an 800? Usually the inverter has twice the capacity for "peak" power, but what that means is a second or two of initial burst power, for turning over electric motors and what not.

To know if it'll handle a shop vac, most appliances are in amps. Take the volts (115 U.S.) and multiply it by amps. 115volts * 7amps (about what my shopvac is) = about 805 watts. Because mine is a 400 with peak 800, it's way too small. The shopvac will probably use over 1200 watts at peak and run continuous at 805.

My 400watter will run only a couple of my smaller power tools, and won't touch my shopvac. Big bummer when my garage was flooding during a bad storm, and I had no power. I thought "Hey, I'll back my jeep up to the garage, plug in the shop vac to the inverter..." long story short: No dice.

My opinion is that you need about a 1000watt (2000 peak) continuous inverter to do anything significant, and then go up from there.

Last edited:

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have an 800 watt inverter, doubt I could run a shop vac on it, but you know I'm gonna try in a few min! I like how its mounted.. I use mine for the lap top, phones and camera chargers when we go camping. Theres NO outlets out there!

Do the calculation first, you might blow the inverter! If you're lucky, you'll blow a fuse, if you're not, you'll be in the market for a new inverter!

ROHO

Reaction score
Wow, i have the exact same head unit and subs as you. Small world. Haha

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow crazy stuff roho! I really love my subs, they rump nice and loud. As for the inverter, I have an inline fuse to make sure I don't blow it. Haven't checked the power ratings on my shop-vac yet but I know its a smaller one. I got it from lowes and its made to hang and be nice and accessible. So if I'm lucky, I can use it. Thanks for the info!

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why don't you Hurculine the wheels to match the grille? I have an extra set of those for sale if you mess them up.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've actually been considering it. Not sure how it would look though. Any other thoughts?
A gun metal color would probably match and look better on the wheels that the liner. If your local Auto Zone or Advance Auto is like mine, they will let you take a couple of cans outside to match stuff up before you buy it. They have a nice newer line of wheel paints by DupliColor. Find one that matches decently and grab a couple of cans each of color, clear and find some Bulldog Adhesion Promotor. Make sure you scuff up the wheels very well before you spray them.

Latest posts

Members online