Less extreme back spacing on steel wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

spova

Reaction score
Iv been looking around at wheels all day long. I can only find steel wheels wind 0 offset or close to it. That's 1-1.5" farther out, That's a lot on my CJ but on a JK that is made for more positive offset wheels its getting pretty crazy. From what I have read I will have rubbing issues and be replacing barrings all the time with even OEM sized tires.

I like the looks of the black rock lobo wheels. Does any one know of where I can get more modern looking steel wheels like that but with a positive offset and narrow enough you can run OEM sized tires (7"). I'm hoping to find some thing that only moves the wheels out .5-1 inch.

I'm somewhat constrained on tires size because I want to get the new BFG KO2 when they come out. I have the KO on my CJ-5 and have been happy. The only KO2 size BFG is releasing in November that fits the liberty I just got is 225/75r16.

Also does any one have any feed back on performance changes with the wider stance and close to OEM sized tires? Is low speed maneuvering or turning when stopped cause any issues? Will I be ok getting 16x7 lobo with 4" back spacing and putting 225/75r16 on them?

Can I get the wheels and then have them modified so the mounting surface is moved? Does any one have any experience with this.

Thanks for your input!
-Joshua

spova

Reaction score
In other words I'm looking for OE sized (or close to) after market steel wheels. Alloy too but really looking for steel.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Iv been looking around at wheels all day long. I can only find steel wheels wind 0 offset or close to it. That's 1-1.5" farther out, That's a lot on my CJ but on a JK that is made for more positive offset wheels its getting pretty crazy. From what I have read I will have rubbing issues and be replacing barrings all the time with even OEM sized tires.
IF STOCK SAGGED HEIGHT YES YOU WILL HAVE RUBBING MORE THAN LIKELY WITH A 4 INCH BACKSPACED WHEEL
I like the looks of the black rock lobo wheels. Does any one know of where I can get more modern looking steel wheels like that but with a positive offset and narrow enough you can run OEM sized tires (7"). I'm hoping to find some thing that only moves the wheels out .5-1 inch.
MOVING THE WHEEL OUT EVEN THAT MUCH COULD CAUSE ISSUES UNLIFTED, YOU'LL NEED TO AT LEAST POUND OVER THE PINCH WELD AND POSSIBLY TWEAK THE LINER SOME IN FRONT

I'm somewhat constrained on tires size because I want to get the new BFG KO2 when they come out. I have the KO on my CJ-5 and have been happy. The only KO2 size BFG is releasing in November that fits the liberty I just got is 225/75r16.

Also does any one have any feed back on performance changes with the wider stance and close to OEM sized tires? Is low speed maneuvering or turning when stopped cause any issues? Will I be ok getting 16x7 lobo with 4" back spacing and putting 225/75r16 on them? AGAIN WHEEL WIDTH AND BACKSPACING WOULD BE FINE LIFTED/ UNLIFTED AND NOT KNOWING HOW MUCH YOURS HAS SAGGED IS ANYONES GUESS . I HAVE SEEN 235-70-16S ON STOCK WHEELS RUBBING THE LINERS DUE TO THAT MUCH SAGGING

Can I get the wheels and then have them modified so the mounting surface is moved? Does any one have any experience with this.
ANYTHING CAN BE DONE, BUT HIGH $$$$$$$
Thanks for your input!
-Joshua

Hope that helps some or maybe not :emotions34::shrug:

spova

Reaction score
Thanks, my KJ is pre lowered and has not sagged much (knocks on wood). Its at or just over 19" center hub to flare on all four corners.

I appreciate your input.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, my KJ is pre lowered and has not sagged much (knocks on wood). Its at or just over 19" center hub to flare on all four corners.

I appreciate your input.
3/4 to an inch not as bad as some for sure