Leftside High Beam not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damo4runner

Reaction score
Hi there this has got me stumped, my leftside highbeam is not working I have checked and changed the bulb and even checked and changed the fuse. Funny thing is my spot lights are still working and I jacked into the left high beam 3 years ago for these to turn on when the high beams come on, so up until recently things have been fine, anyone had similar or an idea of what the heck I should try next.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hi there this has got me stumped, my leftside highbeam is not working I have checked and changed the bulb and even checked and changed the fuse. Funny thing is my spot lights are still working and I jacked into the left high beam 3 years ago for these to turn on when the high beams come on, so up until recently things have been fine, anyone had similar or an idea of what the heck I should try next.

Do you have day time running lights in Australian spec KJ's by chance?

Either way, ours did the same thing on our '04. It turned out to be the multi function switch.

damo4runner

Reaction score
When you say multi function switch do you mean the stork assembley off the steering wheel that turns on the lights. If so I may have a way to test that as I installed factory fog lights to my KJ also a while ago have had no problems but it may be worth a look the fog lights still work, my spotlights still work the low beams on both sides work and the park lights work it is just the left high beam that is not working.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
When you say multi function switch do you mean the stork assembley off the steering wheel that turns on the lights. If so I may have a way to test that as I installed factory fog lights to my KJ also a while ago have had no problems but it may be worth a look the fog lights still work, my spotlights still work the low beams on both sides work and the park lights work it is just the left high beam that is not working.

Yes, the turn signal switch, etc.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Cool thanks will look into it

According to the parts guy at Chrysler, he said that there is a relay inside the multi function switch that went bad. (In our case)
Apparently they are the same unit as found in the Dodge Neon.sx 2.0
I never looked into that mind you, so I don't know if that is accurate.
If they are the same, it might be cheaper to find one in the wrecking yard, as opposed to a Jeep part number.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you splice into the high beams on that side for your spot lights? Check that connection first to make sure youre still getting power to the head lights and not just the spot lights.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you splice into the high beams on that side for your spot lights? Check that connection first to make sure youre still getting power to the head lights and not just the spot lights.

X2... If the left High Beam is the wire you tapped into you might just have a corroded or bad connection now. If you used one of those scotchloks, an inline press on tap, then its probably the culprit. I have seen it plenty of times, the added circuit works but the original circuit gets rotted off because moisture gets in.

I would go to where you tapped in and take that apart and clean it up. At the least get a crimp on butt splice that is the glue lined heatshrinkable type, cut the wire and put your wire and the original in one side and then the original in the other, then make sure its all working and shrink it down to seal it. I like the 3M adhesive lined heatshrinkable splices and taps when its a less than easy place to get to, otherwise i solder.

You can slide on a piece of adhesive lined heatshrink tubing and strip and solder the wires together, my normally preferred method, and then apply the shrink tubing for a weatherproof connection.

I would check that first since your lights tapped off that wire work.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you've already changed the bulb to known good one, now start at the plug for the bulb and check for power there, work your way back to your next wiring plug or until you find power, so then your break is between the two places. Make sure to turn on the light switch too. Simple electrical problem chasing. Like someone already said though, suspect the splice first where you tapped in, maybe corroded, do a wiggle test etc.