Left speakers dont work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried searching but lost patience, please dont flame me if Im asking a stupid question...

05 lib, premium sound system, left side speakers no worky-worky.

From my search, it sounds like each speaker has its own amp so this probably is not an amp issue.
That would imply a possible head unit issue right? So...
1. How do I access the back of the HU to check the wires?
2. Is there any other component besides the headunit thats common to all three left speakers that could cause the problem?
3. Any other ideas or suggestions?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
From my search, it sounds like each speaker has its own amp so this probably is not an amp issue.

No, there is only one amp in your front door powering dash, front and rear door speakers. One amp per side. Your amp may have been damaged/dead. Open the door trim panels and use volt meter to check if you are getting any current up the amp by unplugging the harness. There is a diagram somewhere here that shows which wire does what. It is highly unlikely that all three speakers are blown at the same time. It is most likely the amp OR the wiring between h/u and the amp.

May sound harsh, but did you try slapping the door panels? Right underneath the speaker, see if the connector got loose or something..

Also, did you check the balance on your radio? Maybe someone played with it?

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, there is only one amp in your front door powering dash, front and rear door speakers. One amp per side. Your amp may have been damaged/dead. Open the door trim panels and use volt meter to check if you are getting any current up the amp by unplugging the harness. There is a diagram somewhere here that shows which wire does what. It is highly unlikely that all three speakers are blown at the same time. It is most likely the amp OR the wiring between h/u and the amp.

May sound harsh, but did you try slapping the door panels? Right underneath the speaker, see if the connector got loose or something..

Also, did you check the balance on your radio? Maybe someone played with it?

Thanks for the clarification on the amp, I will check that out when I get a chance.
Havent tried the "Fonzi" approach yet, but thats an idea...Ill give it a whack next time I drive it.
Did check the balance and fade settings, verified there is no noise from any of the three at all.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I surely hope it is the factory head unit, or loose amp connection, because it is so much easier to swap the head unit then to hunt gremlins.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, got my maintenance CD in the mail yesterday and now understand the system better...

Tried to get into the door today and for the life of me couldnt figure out how to get in there without breaking anything! Any tips or hints?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, does it have own fuses?

Door? You mean the trim? There are total 2 screws, one inside door handle, and other in armrest/grabbar. You just pop the clips, there are 10 clips. Make sure you pull them out straight and you won't break them. Even if you break them, dealer or online sells them for cheap. To get the first one pop just stick a trim tool or one of those silicon or metal spatulas to get leverage and pop away. There was a nice instruction somewhere around here, especially when it comes to the door lock mechanism.

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Of course I made that last post BEFORE searching (like some kind of noob). I did find several threads that tell me the same thing you did. I guess I just have to grow a set and pull harder.

No separate fuses for the amps, but there are a couple of connections to check.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the head unit. Still no sound to the left. Its something between the HU and the speakers...

Latest posts

Members online