Left rear lower control arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frankjc

Reaction score
So, this morning I attempted to replace my left rear lower control arm, the bolt on the front side of it won't come out. It hits the fuel tank shield. I was attempting to remove the bolts that go into the frame rail to see if I could lower it, and they snapped. Now I have to drill the broken bolts out and tap the holes.
I am thinking of ordering a new bolt, cutting the existing bolt and feeding the new one in the other way.
Anyone got any ideas? I thought this was going to be a half hour job. Oh well.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a couple of KJs that the exhaust ( muffler ) was in such bad shape that I didn't want to have to pry or move it ( on the right side )
so cut the bolt after loosening it up some and installing another
Both of the customers didn't have money to replace the LCAs and exhaust both at the same time

frankjc

Reaction score
What did you cut it with? I tried a reciprocating saw but the bolt pretty much just laughed at my cheapo harbor freight blades.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite weapons of mass destruction is an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, very handy to have around.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That second one is the one I was referring to. A good face shield is suggested especially since you will likely be laying under the thing.

frankjc

Reaction score
definitely looks like it will work....and an excuse to buy another tool.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a METABO Angle Grinder, with 7 in Wheel, never have any issues since it can reach in easily

frankjc

Reaction score
Cut the bolt with the 4.5 inch angle grinder. Used a lower control arm bolt from a Lincoln Mark Viii, same size.
Got an OE arm from the dealer $54, with my discount.