LED or HID

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06_liberty

Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to figure out what type of lights I should get to put onto my roof rack. I was thinking of either a 42'' LED bar or 4 HID's. From all the videos that I've seen on youtube, the LED bars don't look like they put out much light compared to what my friends HID's did...Are the LED bars really worth it or should I stick to the HID's?

CarToyz

Reaction score
From what I understand LEDs will illuminate while HIDs will project it that makes sense. Personally I would go with HIDs to give maximum light output.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the last couple of weeks I've been trying to figure out what type of lights I should get to put onto my roof rack. I was thinking of either a 42'' LED bar or 4 HID's. From all the videos that I've seen on youtube, the LED bars don't look like they put out much light compared to what my friends HID's did...Are the LED bars really worth it or should I stick to the HID's?

9007 Hella bulbs on high beam............
You must be registered for see images attach

Vision X Patriot 35 degree flood beam LED light bar............

Vision X EVO Prime 20" 20 degree spot beam LED lightbar...........

KC 50watt HID's................

The end of the building is about 1000' away and yes I'm pointed a bit down hill.

I also no longer have the KC HID's,I switched them out for Vision X's 25watt Cannon's(1000' beam) which blow them away big time.No pics of those or the Rigid Dually's in the Renny light bar since my engine took a dump a while ago.Wish I would have waited 2 weeks for those Vision X Cannon lights since the day I got them Vision X came out with 50watt Cannon's(2500' beam).

From what I understand LEDs will illuminate while HIDs will project it that makes sense. Personally I would go with HIDs to give maximum light output.
Not any more and really how far ahead do you really need to see? Oh and LED's will last much longer if you buy good LED's like Rigid and Vision X,other knockoff brands are hit or miss(more miss then hit by far) on quality,longevity,and brightness and why there cheap.

06_liberty

Reaction score
I'm not concerned too much about the life on them considering I wont being using them but maybe once or twice a week...distance wise, I was planning on getting the two outer lights as flood lights so I can see all the deer out on the back roads and then probably euro beams for the inner two

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not concerned too much about the life on them considering I wont being using them but maybe once or twice a week...distance wise, I was planning on getting the two outer lights as flood lights so I can see all the deer out on the back roads and then probably euro beams for the inner two
Quality HID bulb(not the cheap china made junk from fleabay or DDM) normally lasts about 2500 hours.A quality LED light bar(Rigid or Vision X) will last 50,000 hours.Pretty much all Rigids and Vision X LED's also have thermal heat management to extend there life also.

06_liberty

Reaction score
so around how much would a good set cost...im not looking for the best there are, just some that are good enough to get the job done

06_liberty

Reaction score
I was looking at some of the Rugged Ridge HID's and I notice that they all have exactly the same housings and specs as the ones that you can get for half the price...is there any difference in them or are they just trying to charge more for the same ones that everyone else has?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at some of the Rugged Ridge HID's and I notice that they all have exactly the same housings and specs as the ones that you can get for half the price...is there any difference in them or are they just trying to charge more for the same ones that everyone else has?
Knock offs made to look like name brand lights but use sub-par materials and bulbs.Why they are half the cost of good lights.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
All of those cheaper ones are the same way, they look the part but when you compare side by side there is no comparison. I got some of the LED 3X3 knockoffs installed them, thought yep they are bright. Then Ted stopped by with his " name brand" and it was night and day.
Spend the $$$ for the best ones and be done
knockoffs...:shooter:

Members online

No members online now.